Eating in Bulgaria (on a Shoestring)

I'm a law student from India and I'll be in Sofia (May-June) for an internship.
I have a small budget and want to make the most of it.

I would like to cook most of my food (basic stuff) and eat out maybe twice a week. Can anyone please recommend me some good supermarkets where I can buy food and some inexpensive/mid-level restaurants?

Thank you

Hi Gargi

There are many supermarkets to choose from and most have a few different specials ( Billa, CBA,Kuafland etc) Other than the specials the prices are very similar from one to the next. As a whole there is a large verity of foods available from Different little bakery shops or at the metro stations (1-2 lev ) .. You can do take aways from 1.5 lev to 4 lev... Depending on where you are situated there are a number of malls where there are also food courts usually on the top floor. You get decent Bulgarian cooked meal at the food courts for around 5 to 8 lev. A restuarant meal will ussually be from 5-10 lev. All of these prices I mentioned excluding drinks. 1.5 liter water in a supper market is  from 0.35 lev.

Hope this will help

Hi. Open street markets are a cheap option for fresh fruit and vegetables. There are quite a lot of those around, what region are you staying in?