[Interviews] Gwen in Los Angeles

Hi,

How about a trip to the US this week?

Meet Gwen, Aussie expat settled in LA.
When her husband got a job offer in Hollywood, they decided to leave Sydney to settle in Los Angeles with their family, amongst movie & TV stars:
https://www.expat.com/en/interview/188_ … geles.html

Feel free to leave her a comment on her interview page ;)

Have a nice day,

Julie
Expat.com team

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of your interview series, it was lots of fun  :)

Gwen, LA is a unique place that is for sure. It is like a 4 day work week there. Everyone is laid back, late for everything, and does not have a care in the world. The same goes for Florida where I live. Having lived in both places they are almost identical in terms of personality. The only difference being TAX. :D

Welcome to the United States.

Thanks for the welcome. Tax sux here, you're right. What's it there? Do I want to know?

ItStartedinLA wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. Tax sux here, you're right. What's it there? Do I want to know?

No income tax in Florida, they tax what you own

mugtech wrote:
ItStartedinLA wrote:

No income tax in Florida, they tax what you own

Nonetheless, the cost of living is dramatically different in California than it is in Florida. No income tax is correct. I don't own a house so I could care less about taxing what I own :)

ItStartedinLA - I have yet to see a sales tax higher than 7%. In Chicago is varied from 6.5% - 15% depending on the area of the metropolitan area you were in.

We're 9% here plus there's a property tax. Anyway not about to buy here (I don't think) so we should be OK.

Certain states, in addition to property taxes, have taxes on personal property, which can include many things.
Not doubt California is as expensive as it gets, but others nickel and dime you in other ways, like charging sales tax on food and clothing.

ItStartedinLA wrote:

We're 9% here plus there's a property tax. Anyway not about to buy here (I don't think) so we should be OK.

You will notice (and not to be political) left leaning states (Democratic) tend to have higher taxes (California, Illinois, New York) where as right leaning states (Republican) tend to have less taxes but do make up the difference elsewhere.

mugtech wrote:

Certain states, in addition to property taxes, have taxes on personal property, which can include many things.
Not doubt California is as expensive as it gets, but others nickel and dime you in other ways, like charging sales tax on food and clothing.

Correct.

I am a lifetime California but went to Texas for 4 years. Sure there's no state income tax but they get you in other ways. Property tax is up to 4% in certain areas compared to 1% in California (homes there can be just as expensive as here in California). Many tolled roads, high utility, etc

My opinion is just to find a suitable location and then try  to adjust your standard of living. Don't move to Duluth, Ohio (apologies to Duluthians) just to save some tax.

ha ha! True enough.

ItStartedinLA wrote:

News flash
If you are renting you are paying real estate tax, for the landlord includes it in his calculation of how much rent to charge.

Uh thanks for that insight ... :thanks:

ItStartedinLA wrote:

Uh thanks for that insight ... :thanks:

My pleasure