Does anyone here who runs a coconut farm?

My mom has an 8-hectares piece of land in Gamay, Northern Samar. Since our family is based in Manila, her relatives look after the  property and basically they're the ones benefiting from its products which is mainly coconuts. I expressed interest to my mom that I want to take charge of the place and she's happy about it since none of my siblings showed interest in it. The problem is I dont have any knowledge how to run a farm plus I'll be back soon to Saudi Arabia for a new job offer. My idea is to just give regular salaries to my mom's relatives whose looking after the farm while I do the financing and they could just forward any earnings to my mom.  Any suggestions how  could I go about this?  There's still a lot things we could do with the property to flourish it, a lot of options to choose.  I just dont know which is the best and what's the right product to market. Your farm business thoughts will be highly appreciated, thank you!

My Friend:

Continue the coconut farm. It is not expensive to have coconut farm, you only need salt to fertilize. You may diverse to natural farming of chickens ang cows then grow high value crops like spring onion, ampalaya, pepper and capsicum. You need dedicated person to do it.

adamsmole wrote:

My Friend:

Continue the coconut farm. It is not expensive to have coconut farm, you only need salt to fertilize. You may diverse to natural farming of chickens ang cows then grow high value crops like spring onion, ampalaya, pepper and capsicum. You need dedicated person to do it.

Thanks for the advise. You're right about having dedicated person to do it that's why i thought of giving a regular salary. I've read about intercropping and im just wondering if you can suggest what crops should I choose and where to get the best seedlings. Thanks again

Anyone here who owns coconut farm in Philippines?

Perhaps you might want to allow the family to run the farm and keep a majority of the profit after paying all the expenses.  If you settle for 10% of the net profit, then they will be inspired to excel.   Ask THEM what else they would like to do on the land, it will make them more involved, probably perform better.