Company legal obligation when leaving Expat employment?

What is a companies legal obligation towards an expat when leaving their employment, more specific in assisting with re-location cost of personal effects?

Hi Johann71,

I moved your topic on the Kenya forum for better interaction and visibility.

According to the company legal obligation toward an expat, it might depends upon the contract between the two concerned parties.

Regards,

David.

Thank you David.

There is no clear agreement and guideline in writing between myself and the company. But I presume they are bound by the local labour laws, but even that I need to get clarified. Thank you for your reply

Johann

Hi,
I would think that there should be repatriation benefits;that the employer needs to pay re-immigration costs for the staffer at the end of the contract.It however will depend on the initial terms of the contract if this is indicated/specfied.The basis to argue for this would be to look at where the initial recruitment was done.If from abroad to take up a job in Kenya then the employee has right to ask for return ticket and or baggege cost reimbursement.Secondly would be to consider if the employer met the initial flight cost into the country.If it did then it should be implied that they would meet the costs for return back to base.I would suppose HR can be helpful in this regards .Alternatively and which i think might not be pleasant is to stay in the country till the visa/permit is expired  ;) and sort of voluntarily has yourself nabbed in the ongoing immigrant round up.This could be a definate answer if you cannot raise a ticket back home.It might not be what one  :( wants to experience especially sleeping in some cold,stinky cells awating repatriation back home(without own personal effects etc) :-D good luck .If you do the last one then you deserve the crown  :one

Agbahali,

No need to go to that extreme, tickets is taken care of, my concern is personal effects.
Guess I will not go for the crown after all.

Cheers
Johann

Hi.
:top: it is understandable.Good luck .A

If there is nothing in your contract regarding reimbursement for personal effects then the employer is only obligated to pay for your airfare home.