Beetle Bite

I got bitten (or pinched) by a huge and freaky looking black beetle yesterday evening. It hurt and creeped me out a bit, but I am fine otherwise (so far!).

I managed to hit it off of my neck and step on it. I took a pic and then I looked around on the internet to try to identify it. The closest looking one I found is native to Canada. I doubt that is the one, though it is probably similar.

Anyway, it made me curious. Are there any dangerous insects in Bahrain?

14 years in Bahrain and I am yet to experience a black beetle bite, and here you are in your first year and see what you have achieved!?  ;)

On a serious note, I doubt very much if the bite could be dangerous, unless one is allergic to insect bites. (A friend of mine is allergic and I know how bad it can get.)

As for dangerous insects, I have not come across any. Perhaps someone knowledgeable may be able to help. There was some news about some spiders some time back but that news has died down now. And besides those are spiders. You are only worried about insects :)

I lumped spiders in with insects although this is not technically correct.
To be clear, I am worried about them too!

As for my accomplishments, yes - I tend to manage a lot of such things.

This beetle was about 4-5 cm long and looked like a member of the scarab family. I felt something crawling on the back of my neck as I was busy with something else. I brushed at it and must have pushed it partially under my shirt collar without realizing what it was, how big it was, or that it was still there. Then it bit me. I jumped in pain and knocked it to the ground. I was very surprised when I saw what it was. Unfortunately my son, who isn't very fond of any insects (or spiders!) saw the whole thing and was a bit freaked out. I'm so glad it was me and not him. That would have traumatized him.

I think I know the kind you are referring to. There was a fellow on my shirt as well couple of days back. Luckily I did not get bitten. Probably a seasonal thing. And yes, thanks good heavens your son was safe.

As for your "accomplishments", I did remember your Sri Lanka trip :)