English guy moving to Milan in September

Hi everyone!

I've got a job at Malpensa airport starting in September with Lufthansa and I need somewhere to live!  I'm starting to learn Italian but don't think i'll be anywhere near fluent by then!

Does anyone know any nice places to live?  I would like to be near the centre to go out but not too far away from the airport either.  Is there anywhere in the north west area of Milan which is nice? 

I'm probably going to come over before I start my job to look round and check things out.  It would be great to meet new people and friends who could help me get settled.

I enjoy snowboarding, climbing, cycling, running, basketball and most sports really.  I'm easy going and up for a good laugh!  I enjoy going out to nice restaurants and bars, cinemas and theatres.

Any help or advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and look forward to speaking to you soon!

Adam

Hi!

Congrats on your new job! I'm from Dublin and living in Milan. The areas around Malpensa are really lovely if you want to think about staying outside the city. There are really lovely towns close to the airport and close to the A4 motorway into the city. I live in a small town called Marcallo con Casone. We are 15 minutes from MXP and 15 minutes on the motorway to the city. The stretch of road from my town to the airport is never busy and it only takes 15 minutes to get there. If you decide to live in the city it will take about 45 minutes. A nice area to the west of the city is San Siro. Good luck with your search and if you need any help let me know. :)

Hi Adam,

I am Giulia, from My life in Europe, a website dedicated to those who, like you, are moving to Italy.

Go visit us and in case you have further questions feel free to contact us.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Giulia.

Hi Christina,

Do you know any websites of letting agencies in the city? Finding it really hard to find any on the internet.

Thanks

Adam

hey, how is everything going in Milan?

Hi Adam,
Congrats to you --

Varese is very nice -- and much closer to Malpensa.
But, if you want a bigger city - than Milan is the one.
Try looking at EasyMilano -- there are always house postings there.

Francesca Maggi

(and, chk out my blog if you want to have a look at the travails of living in Italy!!!)

Hello Adam, near to come.... See you soon of a rugby pitch!
Once youre in Milano e-mail me or call me (be aware you will need a car from Malpensa)
Me and friends usually join the Americanites an International event held by a very nice guy each wenesday night in Brera at
Fiori Oscuri (intnl pub).
Cheers
Max

Hi Adam,

Im an Aussie living with my Italian boyfriend in a place near Malpensa. Its called Cassano Magnago and is quite a nice small town. Gallarate is the closest main Suburb (5 min drive)and has the main train station there if you do not drive. Our apartment is a 2 bedroom with a large garden (hard to find in Milan) and the rent is so much cheaper compared to Milan. We live here as my boyfriend works at Malpensa airport aswell and only takes him 15 minutes to get to work. Let me know if you cant find anything and maybe someone from my boyfriend work knows of an apartment for you to rent near malpensa.

Beth

hi Adam my name is Ilham and i live in Milan!
Malpensa aereoport is not near to the centre of the city,the best for you is take the appartament near Saronno..near your new job,i think!
after all by train 20/25 min and you will be in the center of the city!
let me know if you need more help,or if you need a friend here!
bye!!!

Hi IlhamAyane!

Welcome on Expat.com!

Armand

Thank you so much..!!!I really like here :P

Hi Adam;

I know its been a while you posted about moving to Milan. I was searching the website, I am in the same situation too. I am planing  to move Milan to work at Malpensa airport. I am an aircraft ground engineer and got a job offer from my company to move there. Would you be able to share your experiences about your past year in Malpensa? I am having same questions as you do too, like where to rent a house how to go to airport? I was mainly thinking to live in Gallarate, because I will move with my girlfriend and she is in tourism business. We saw some hotels around Malpensa airport and in also Gallarate. We are hoping to find her a job in one of those also.

Anyways, thank you everybody for contributing and sharing experiences. Its really helpfull.

Furkan

Hi Baides, Here I am. I am Carter here. travelled across Germany and to Korea , Hailed from India and Now in Gallarate. I am goddamn Bored and trying to find someone who speaks atleast english. In addition I am jogger, Anybody joggs here please do let me know.

Cheers.