General Chit Chat

Yes you need to travel to the north coast.

I actually may try to work that into the plan.  Right now im working on the arrangements and finances to actually get to the island.

(i.e. Trying to get my permission slip signed by the powers that be lol)

I have a question..

Whats the difference between Santo Domingo university zone and Santo Domingo colonial zone?

Huge difference. Colonial zone is targeted at expats, tourist and middle to upper class locals. University zone is clearly targeted at public university students and services.

You are ALWAYS so wonderful with your information Planner! So colonial. one is geared around middle/upper class, university zone geared around students, ok got it! Is university zone a nice safe place to be? For a tourist to be hanging out at?  I plan to spend a lot of time there.

Also, could I open a Popular bank account in DR as a tourist? Or no. If so, what would I need to provide?

Asking because I'd plan to do that, so I can link it to my B.O.A.account and access my funds that way instead of bringing all cash and trying to stretch it.

I learned that from you guys lol!!

Oh and now that I think it through, maybe it might be simpler just accessing my money from my B.O.A.account from a Popular ATM, & not really having to open up an account for that purpose!  because it would seem that if I open up the account in DR, when I leave I would have no purpose for the account.

What do you guys think?

Use the ATM way easier and the account may take a bit of time to get open.

Zona universitario is safe for.the most part.  IF there is a huelga, strike, then get out of the area!  And dont act or dress like a tourist and you fit in better.....

BOA cards work at Scotia banks here with no transaction fees only a small bank fee.

Bob K

I am Baaaaaccckkkk and boy does it feel good.  Exhausted though and a nap in my near future.

Bob K

Yayyyyyyyyy

sorry for the delay guys, but thanks for all the information. About the banks and stuff. always can count on you guys! I'm getting hyped up about the trip already! Planner I will PM you as soon as I have more info about my visit. N Bob if i could swing a few days north i will def.let you know as well.

I would Love to meet you guys!! , the 'Faces' behind all the information!

Just keep me posted

Bob K

Me too.  A trip to the north coast is easily done, inexpensive and worth the trip.......

Yea I can imagine.  My only worry is that of going to an area where I know No One!  Yikes!

I actually have traveled north before. And did make some prettood connections, in where they call Sosua abajo. My error is., I did Not maintain the darn connections..

No worries we will take care of you!!! Bob and I know everyone.....LOL

No problem we came here 8 years ago and only knew one person from another board who we did not meet till we were here.  Friends are easy to make but do be careful on who you trust.  You will find that other Expats may be the most dangerous (take advantage of you)

I describe friends as concentric circles. with Acquaintances  on the outer ring and this is the biggest and you closest friends in the inner circle (the smallest group).  Some will move from one circle to another but you will be fine,

Bob K

You guys warm reassuring words make traveling abroad less scary. That's cool!

Glad it helps.  You will do fine.

BObK

Bob makes an important point on trusting other expats.  My wife and I are Canadians and have lived in Japan, Belgium and the US.  We soon learned that other Canadians were most likely to take advantage of us - and we saw Egyptian friends taken advantage of by Egyptian expats, Dutch friends who fell prey to Dutch expats and so on.

There is something about meeting someone from our home country in a foreign setting that lowers our normal caution levels - and there are a few individuals of every nationality who are quick to meet newcomers just to take advantage of that first window of opportunity.

Not that you have to view everyone with suspicion, but if you have to buy something of significant value, be wary of the guy who is apparently from your home area who happens to have a great deal that they are willing to share with you because they want to offer it to another [Your nationality goes here]

So true Casey!!!!   

A more generic warning is this:  TRUST IS EARNED HERE, IT IS NOT AUTOMATIC!

You guys are right that often we tend to get more trusting of pEOple within a group we identify with (whether they've actually earned that trust or not) but just because those someones are from that iidentifying group does NOT mean they are a decent, moral person good charcter and good heart.

A fellow American, or expat can be just as bad as anyone else. That is a great point Casey.

Well, we booked flights and a condo in Sosua for Dec and are calling a recce rather than a vacation. We are both very excited to see the country and get a feel for whether or not we want to call it home next year. As we get closer to winter I'm sure I'll be looking for a ton more advice and info.  :)

Welcome to the forums! Read as much as yku can and feel free to ask us questions as needed. We are here to help!

Welcome Canadian Sig.
Where are you renting your apartment?
We moved to the Sosua area full time about 8 years ago and know the area well (actually sold real estate here for the first 6 years).  Feel free to ask away and I will try to help

Bob K

We will be following your adventure quite closely, as we are planning the same route when we both release from RCAF in the future. Though we hope to do a recce sometime next year.

mnnkim
Welcome to the forum.  Ok I have to ask what is a recce?

Bob K

I will welcome you also.

I think it is reconnaissance ...... military speak??

Yo no hablo militario :)

Bob K

HahahaHahaha

We'll have to learn to speak civilian again I guess.  ;)

We just rented one of the Tradewinds Units from Rocky's, Bob. This is our first look at Sosua (The Mrs has been to Santo Domingo years ago) and we are planning to rent a car and explore a bit. Are there any neighborhoods to avoid?

One be very careful driving here.
I would avoid congrejo barrio and Cherimicos at night.  Parts of sosua and cabaret at night as well.
Tradewinds will be convenient for you as close to town and in a quiet neighborhood.

Bob K

Hi Canadian sig, welcome to the forum! Youre definitely in the right place if looking for information about DR. The blog is very good for that, especially Planner and Bob, they know a lot.

Cangrejo huh, wow, reminds me of when I visited Sosua. Went to a banda real over there. Actually ate breakfast at a lil spot called Rockys as well. I wonder if it's the same one you mention, Canadian Sig.

just reminiscing guys, might be time for me to come back lol

Thanks for the welcome all.

We are quite looking forward to the trip. I've driven extensively in much of North Western Africa, Afghanistan and Pakistan. I expect my driving skills will be put to the test judging from some of the Sosua video clips I have watched.

Rocky's actually has some pretty good reviews for inexpensive food and drinks Nicholas. Maybe it's the same place.

Yes it is the same Rocky's but different owners. Still good ribs I am told but I don't go there.

Yes your driving skills will be tested for sure.

Bob K

Likely your driving skills are not the issue...... its everyone else on the road....

I had a blast driving there...  even though, you do see some utterly INCREDIBLE shyyte on the road there! For Sure!

Most amazing to me was the motos that drive in the dead of the night darkness, with no lights on the bike, shooting out of anywhere like from behind a parked car, or out of a driveway, a parking lot, or even traveling in the opposite direction. Like against oncoming traffic , while all vehicles involved are doing like 70 or 80 mph!!  Don't expect one to stop just  because the light is red either Canadian Sig.

Then when you look, looks like it's a 13 year old whose operating the bike. Probably with NO credentials.

I had a blast but that's because I like a lot of excitement lol! I like driving with adrenaline lol, actually driving in DR reminds me of when I'm on the wildest  roller coasters at Six Flags  :D

Yeah a blast till some one hits you and then no matter the circumstances it is your fault and it will cost you $$$$ even with insurance.
I tell folks you need four sets of eyes (one on each side of you head), a swivel neck where you can rotate your head 360 degrees, and the reflexes of a 13 year old playing on a game boy.  Then  you have a fighting chance.

Bob K

you're probably right on that one Bob. Because it seems like so much is going on, on all 4 sides of you, all at the same time.

Question Bob. How are you responsible for the accident no matter what the circumstances are?  I did hear something like that before. Can you elaborate. Like what if someone hits your car.