General Chit Chat

Only thing not available is strong pain killers and narcotics.

Hi all,
This is Lena, I moved to Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo) last week. i will be here for 4 months for now, and then might extend for a year. I was wondering if anyone is willing to join me on any weekend trip around the island, or nights for dancing/coffee/chatting. I work during the day, but other than that do not have any set schedule yet, and I would love to meet people:). I am fairly new here, and don't know anyone yet, so it would be great to hang out together and explore the city.
About me: 30 yr old female, from Belarus originally, but i lived in Boston prior to Santo Domingo move. I am a programmer, and currently working remote from DR.

Welcome Lena,  I am in Santo Domingo as well.  Sure we can meet for coffee, go dancing whatever. And i can introduce you to a couple other expats.....  i am currently in Puerto Plata but back next week.

Planner is definitely the person to hook up with.  She will lead you down the right path.

Bob K

Or the wrong path depending if you want to have fun.....LOL

Hey Bob not coming to Sosua as you can probably guess. Here comes the rain again.

Lots of people seem to talk great about Puerto Plata, as well as visit often and/or live!  I am wondering if I should travel to that part of the country?!  *sharing my thoughts*

YOu should come see it for sure.  There are many expats living here and it is a tourism area. It is very different from the south or east coasts.

Absolutely come and visit the north coast. We settled in the Sosua/Cabarete area 8 years ago.

Bob K

Planner when do you head back? And the sun is out here right now.

Bob K

We have sun peaking out. I am here till MOnday morning honey.

Ok, maybe tomorrow or Saturday?

Bob K

What are the price of used vehicles in the Dominican Republic?

All vehicles new or used are about 30%-35% more expensive than what they would be back in the US

Bob K

Hey Planner and Bob, made it here last Sunday and I have 3 sweet potatoes on the balcony in water to start the slip growing process. I will be here for 5 weeks total.  If you wish to have one potato each in order to continue the slip growing process, PM me and we can meet up and You can take a potato home and continue the slipping process.  :-)

Sent you a PM

Ummmmmmm my mouth is watering already

Bob K

Speaking of prescription drugs.... I read somewhere that about 40% of the RX drugs are substandard or even fraudulent. Is there truth to the assertion that you have to be cautious where you buy your drugs? It was unclear to me if these fakes appeared to me in manufacturer packaging or not.

Yes that is a problem here.  You are best off at name pharmacies.  Still a risk at these but less so.

Bob K

Agreed, the big name pharmacies are better!!!

My posts may be a bit spotty for the next 10 days or so as tomorrow morning I leave for the New York City area (Hackensack NJ) to help my mom.  Who at the age of 87 still works full time but needs cataract surgery so I am going to help with this one.  In two week my brother will help here with the second one.

Her internet is not all it should be so my coverage may be spotty.

I am not looking forward to visiting the US. The will actually be sleep number 28-36 for me in the US in the last 8 years.  But I am looking forward to seeing her. She usually visits us here in the DR but won't this year till the holiday season.

So I hopefully will be able to post daily but no promises.

Bob K

You will be missed Bob,  good luck on the trip and  I hope all goes well for your mom!!!!   I love how you count your sleeps.......

I know. I have not even left yet and I can't wait to get back!

Bob K

I would like for someone to truthfully tell me what it is like to live there. I have been lied to by so many people I don't know who to believe.

For some living here is great and comfortable.  For others it is a nightmare.  It all depends on many  things:
Why  did you  move here?  Your  baggage will follow you here and even get heavier.
Do you need to work to survive here?
Do you adapt easily?
Can you live without  rules?
Are  you an angry person?
So you  speak some Spanish?
What part of the country are you gonig to live in and why?
Are you here to find a partner?  (very dangerous)
Are you running from sometning (law, spouse, work etc)?

All of these will have some bearing on if you like it or not. 

Personally we moved here 8 years ago  and have not looked back for a second.  Our adventure continues with  smiles on our faces.

Bob K

I like that analysis Bob that's cool!

Can you elaborate on the 'can you live without rules' part. Are there no rules or are there rules not followed..

sorry another question..  And how does being an angry person tye into the equation

There are rules and laws but  many  are  not  enforced unless it is convient to do so.  There certainly are less than in the  US and pretty much a "hands off" attitude.

Anger does not fit in well here because  as the "gringo" if you are angry in most situations it will  not go well for you.  Rules will be applied, money  will be extorted and so on. 

In fact anger rarely does any good in any  situation.

Bob K

Ok, I follow Bob..  I think lol. What comes to mind is the saying 'you get more bees with honey than vinegar'

Bob you got it right. So much depends on the individual and your attitude. If you come here wanting it to be "just like at home" then don't bother. If you are up for some adventure, are open minded then it might work for you.

One key is either money and / or job skills that count here. If you don't have $$$ or can't earn it then life here is NOT fun, it can be very challenging.

There is a bit of a process for getting things done....for me first stages start with asking nicely, then short skirt and high heels are used and then I can get very forceful to get things done.......No one wants to have to deal with me at that stage....Lol.

Hey Planner! I was thinking on those same type of lines.. About getting tough when you have to NOT about using the skirt n heels lol. (Althoigh id probably give you what you wanted too lol)  But moreso that i always try kindly as that is my personality but some take kindness for weakness. when I start to get the feeling that someone is trying to play me when I get very 'officer' ish and it always is the result of someone else playing themselves or trying to get over or trying to take advantage.

its just funny though how some people start off mean and get exactly what they want right from the gate. Smh

As an expat we are already seen as unreasonable right from the start.....So I always try nice nice nice..... it often works and I don't need to go any further.

I also know to get in line for the male attendant/cashier etc as they are more open to my charms.....LOL!

But you still need to be firm when necessary.

Bob K

Absolutely!!!!

Hey Planner. Just letting you know that if all goes correct, I should be in Santo Domingo in mid November staying for around a month. Again that is if all arrangments work out as organized - wish me luck lol.  Then i'd have to meet you and have you show me around your neck of the woods!  That'd be cool.  I'd love to meet some other expats in SD and pick you guys brains a bit.

Id actually love to meet you too Bob, guess Id have to wait till I go north for that one tho lol.

Honey you are on!!!!

That sounds so assuring!  well at least if i don't know nobody else over there at least I know one person!  :)

And I can introduce you to others here of course!!!

Ok well ill keep you posted, gotta run it by the powers that be lol

IF you  are going to be in SD for a month you should take a couple of  days and visit the north coast. It is a totally different world from SD.

This  country is BIG and has lots to offer

Bob K