Jeddah vs. Riyadh

#1 18 June 2010 09:43:56

Alliecat
Alliecat
Riyadh

Jeddah vs. Riyadh

If I were offered a job in Jeddah, would it really be so much better living there than in Riyadh?

Pros and cons, si vous plait??

#4 18 June 2010 09:59:57

MadMaz
MadMaz
Riyadh

Re: Jeddah vs. Riyadh

Jeddah: ocean, less conservative, ocean, less conservative, ocean, less conservative

Riyadh: Nothing

I swear to God that he said the truth, all the truth, nothing but the truth... well except the ocean part it's actually a sea... but who cares about that now!! :P

#5 18 June 2010 10:06:22

Alliecat
Alliecat
Riyadh

Of course I know about the sea :P 

But being a woman, there would still be many limitations placed upon me (meaning, I wouldn't get to enjoy the sea like you would) so, boys, you need to consider this from a woman's point of view!

BTW, good to see you, Max ;)  lol

Last edited by Alliecat (18 June 2010 10:07:16)

#6 18 June 2010 10:07:47

MisterStretch

Jeddah: Less conservative

Allie, Riyadh is one of the most fundamental cities in the KSA.  Here on my side of the country, women are able to go out alone (though not drive) so enjoying the sea or a restaurant or a coffee isn't an issue.

I see women of all shapes, sizes and nationalities out on their own and with friends; along the Corniche, enjoying dinner or shopping in the bazaar.

I actually was thinking about it from your point of view.

Jeddah is even a bit more free than things in Khobar/Dammam.

Last edited by MisterStretch (18 June 2010 10:10:52)

#7 18 June 2010 10:14:21

MadMaz
MadMaz
Riyadh

But being a woman, there would still be many limitations placed upon me (meaning, I wouldn't get to enjoy the sea like you would)

Obviously you don't know much Alliecat so let me tell this:

In Jeddah, and only Jeddah, they have many resorts who own their private share of the beach & water and they'll let you enjoy the sea just like any of us guys would do... enjoy the sun!

#8 18 June 2010 10:29:50

FeeAcer
FeeAcer
Ras al Khaimah

MadMaz wrote:

In Jeddah, and only Jeddah, they have many resorts who own their private share of the beach & water and they'll let you enjoy the sea just like any of us guys would do... enjoy the sun!

Sorry to correct you MadMaz, there are also such resorts in Al Khobar, i.e. BAE Beach and I think some others but I don't remember their name; we only went to BAE Beach.

#9 18 June 2010 10:34:44

MadMaz
MadMaz
Riyadh

Sorry to correct you MadMaz

Don't be sorry, that is some good news I didn't know about, blame it on MisterStretch for not telling me :P

#10 18 June 2010 10:37:55

Alliecat
Alliecat
Riyadh

hey Stretch,

I go out by myself all the time in Riyadh, not only to malls but out to eat if I feel like it--or to the souks--or a book store or wherever.  I haven't alllowed KSA to limit my freedom in that respect (ie. the mindset that if I can't find a companion, I can't do what I want).

What I was referring to, Mr. Maz, was being able to go swimming or diving or fishing--on a daily basis--anywhere anybody else can--without the forethought or expense of checking into a resort.  So, albeit I don't know much, I stand by my statement that I wouldn't be able make use of the sea like you can.  (Oh, and I know that's just the way it is here, I'm not making an issue of it--but let's not pretend that women are suddenly free just because they're in Jeddah).

#13 18 June 2010 17:35:13

MisterStretch

You might be able to go in the sea, but you might also be groped and your person assaulted by rude, ignorant, misogynistic local men.

I was amazed at how often that happened when living in the UAE.  Here, I understand it's even worse.

What a corner of the world we live in.

I still think you would be freer in Jeddah than in Riyadh.

MadMaz wrote:

Sorry to correct you MadMaz

Don't be sorry, that is some good news I didn't know about, blame it on MisterStretch for not telling me :P

Actually even on this side there are a couple of hotels that have "beaches", like Holiday Inn (not far from the BAE beach in Half Moon Bay).

Last edited by MisterStretch (18 June 2010 17:37:40)

#15 21 June 2010 07:31:13

jillndave
jillndave
Riyadh

Sorry people, BAe do not have Half Moon Bay available to us any more. It's now being developed.

#16 21 June 2010 12:55:34

FeeAcer
FeeAcer
Ras al Khaimah

jillndave wrote:

Sorry people, BAe do not have Half Moon Bay available to us any more. It's now being developed.

Oups! Sorry to hear about that (mainly for the people living on the East coast; I'm not concerned anymore :lol: ).
Are there any other alternative for westerners on the East coast?

#18 14 April 2013 16:59:27

Jenwags
Jenwags
South Carolina

I will be teaching at the American International School of Jeddah. I start in August andI don't know about anyhting first hand yet, but I can tell you that I have been very ipressed with my interactions with the administration including the Princiap of the Elementary School and the Superintendent. I am from US and will be a learning support teacher (special education) at the school.

#20 14 April 2013 21:28:53

shikra
shikra
Dammam

Alliecat wrote:

If I were offered a job in Jeddah, would it really be so much better living there than in Riyadh?

Pros and cons, si vous plait??

Jeddah has a very different atmosphere as compared to Riyadh/Dammam/Khobar. Considering women, it is positively different!

You can find women more confident and active while working outside or participating in outdoor activities.

The Red Sea touching the city adds beauty and life in it further, as apposed to Riyadh surrounded by desert.

The weather is strangely different, with humidity at its peak during summers and even in few months of winter. The rainfall causes big disturbance in the flow of traffic.

Other attractions like shopping Malls, restaurants, beauty saloons etc are more or less the same as in Riyadh (with the only exception of the great 'Al Baik' Restaurant that is exclusively available in Jeedah and few other western cities of K.S.A). If you get addicted to Al Baik food items, you will never wish to come back to Riyadh :)

My suggestion, if you don't want to miss your circle of friends, do not move to Jeddah, as after all, it is not the shops, malls and beaches that are going to make you feel alive, it is your social circle!
But if you don't care or if it will not make much difference, do proceed to Jeddah and experience the new kind of life in K.S.A

Last edited by shikra (14 April 2013 21:30:40)

#21 15 April 2013 07:11:36

AAKHAN

dEAR fRIENDS

bOTH CITIES HAVE THEIR OWN TRADITIONS.
jEDDAH IS WONDERFUL AND rIYADH IS ALSO BID CITY

5 members online in Saudi Arabia

Expatriate health insurance Saudi Arabia
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Saudi Arabia.
>> Click here
Expat banking Saudi Arabia
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Saudi Arabia
A few tips from professionals about moving to Saudi Arabia.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Saudi Arabia
Don't worry and travel happy across Saudi Arabia.
>> Click here