Help,question about shop manager job

Hello everybody, you are always helpful and thank you for that.I want to ask,does anybody know what are the requirements to work as shop manager and seller adviser in Malta?What is the salary in that type of business and what kind of computer skills are needed to work that kind of job?Thanks again

Hi Vladimir,

apart from the usual qualifications Maltese sales assistants have to have the ability to be on their mobile phones and just ignore customers until they just give up and walk out of the shop. Depending on the goods being sold and the type of customer you might also have to speak Maltese and have knowledge of the goods although usually I advise myself in Maltese shops as the knowledge of the assistants is often not very good. They might even tell you that they don't stock an article they were actually standing in front of -))) No joke , it happened to me in a pharmacy !

The salaries are as basic as the requirements - minimal wage.

Check out the ETC website for job offers.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky,and what about shop manager?

Hi Vladimir,

shop manager? Most Maltese shops are on the small side so often it is only the shop manager anyway. If you are thinking of a larger store /shop with a whole lot of employees you certainly have to have a few years experience in sales and team-leading and I would think that you have to speak Maltese as most employees will be Maltese and speak Maltese. Computer skills I'm not sure about.

Are you an experienced store manager in your own country? The skills will be similar but don't underestimate the language challenge here in Malta.

Salary would be a bit higher depending on the size of the store and responsibilities especially if you are general manager of M&S or Debenhams or similar large stores.

You will probably find the job postings in the Times of Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks again  :)

Hi Vladimir,

not much of an answer ! It's always nice to get a bit more feedback than  just ' Thanks again'.

Did the answers help you in anyway ? Will we be seeing you soon in Malta as a shop manager? What salary were you expecting? Are you already an experienced shop manager? Why are you considering Malta? Why did you ask about computer skills as a shop manager? What do you mean by 'seller advisor'? What exactly do you mean by 'shop manager'? Small shop?- big shop? How many employees? What can you or do you want to sell? What are your qualifications to think of being a shop manager if you are not already a shop manager?

It's not about being nosy but would be helpful to others following your post to profit from the question.

Cheers
Ricky

Yes,you are right,sory,now I have more time to write  ;) Yes the answers help me in some way.Most of my time I worked as seller adviser,but I was running almost everything in the shops,even now I am still working in a shop.I had my own shops for a while,one in Bulgarian mountain resort and one in Bulgarian Sea resort,but the economic cryse put an end to them  :( .The shops that I have been working in were not very big.I was once in Malta and I like it very much,I think that it is good to rais kids there,I have 5 years old daughter.I hope for net salary around 850-900 euro + contract,also we love the sea so I think Malta is good place for us.I am ready to work everythink,but in cleaning sector the wages are too low.I already try that kind of work in Malta and also construction worker,but the money wasn`t enough to  relocate with the family,thats why I think to try like seller adviser,becouse I have big background in that kind of work,but I will work everything if I will be able to succeed.So if anyone can help I will be grateful.Thank you  :)

Hi Vladimir,

thanks for the additional background information.

What you call seller advisor is probably a shop assistant here in Malta. I only know one foreign person working in the retail business , as a shop assistant for interior decoration . For part-time the pay is 5 €/hour = minimum wage. The retail business seems to be difficult at the moment here in Malta as I see many shops open new and then close down again - sometimes within a few weeks or months. There are also shops catering for the needs of foreigners like a Russian food store in Sliema and Oriental foodstuff. I even think I saw a Bulgarian shop in St. Julians. But whether the salary of the sales staff is enough to support a family is questionable.

The reality is that the grass is not that green in Malta and if you do not have qualifications and work experience that fit into the job hotspots like finances,IT,native speaker of foreign languages (I'm not sure if there is a market for the Bulgarian language in i-gaming) and so on , it is difficult to find decently paid jobs as you already experienced and I don't think that the regular retail jobs are any better in that respect.

It will certainly be difficult , if not impossible, to find work if you are not in Malta for job interviews and possible immediate start of work.

Many foreigners in your situation choose a low paid job to get started and then look for something better! But there is a large risk in that tactic , especially if you have family to support.

The 'better' jobs are usually advertised in the Times of Malta in the Classified weekend section. You can also send your CV to job agencies and check the ETC website.

Sorry if it sounds a bit demotivating but that is the reality. On the other side, many do succeed and find their job niche in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for the information,you are very helpful, hope that I will find way living in Malta  :)

Cheers
Vladimir