Renting in Malmö as a student

I am curious based on market conditions how difficult it is to find a private flat in the Malmö area?  I am trying to find a suitable location to relocate for my graduate studies this Aug 2014 at Malmö University.  I am currently in New York and looking to either relocate early, prior to my studies in June or possibly the latest in August when studies commence.  I am having difficulty online responding via the usual channels recommended by the University for finding a suitable unit to rent.  I have used the Akelius site for a few months after showing interest in many units but never here back regarding any of the advertised units.

I had an easier time in Holland through a paid agency to get a place in Utrecht.  What is the best way to find an apartment/Flat while abroad?

Thank you for any input and help.

I cannot speak from personal experience as we got on the housing ladder asap, but I think finding a first hand rental can be relatively difficult, but certainly not impossible. Do you know the city at all, it might help if you have a particular area you're interested in living in. Word or mouth is normally a good way to get it sorted, but I can appreciate the limitations there. Do you know anyone here?

I tried to help, I couldn't find anything. We had the same issue when looking to buy. In Sweden you will find hundreds of websites that are not active then you will find the 3 that are haha. I suggest hiring a relocation service. At least they can help prevent you from being scammed. It is very difficult to find a first renter contract it is usually sub leasing. Some will sub lease when they aren't legally allowed to. You pay all your money up front they get caught or kicked off the contract then you are out all your money. My husband and I are thinking of renting a room, we just talked about it today. I know that is not what you are looking for but, through your search maybe you found an " active " room to rent site. If you have throw it our way :~)
We live in Lund Community near Malmo.
Good luck

One more thing.. Try "The Local" it is Swedish news in English they have articles and a very active forum that could also help.

sunshine257 wrote:

One more thing.. Try "The Local" it is Swedish news in English they have articles and a very active forum that could also help.

Thanks for the tip.  i will check them out.  So far I have exhausted the universities housing recommendations which are just general "websites" easily overrun by students - so much so that there is actually a lengthy waiting list.  This is worse then New York City Housing Authority's public lists for rentals.  Even the main agency Boplats Syd which charges a fee has you on some extended waiting list.  The same with Heimstaden, which provides email updates for open rentals and when you indicate interest - you find out in a few days, it was already procured by someone else.

On a side note, I did manage to email Malmö Studenthus and get some offerings on furnished units which are provided for full time students.  It is located in Rosengård so I am trying to find something closer at least to Gäddan
where my dept studies will be held.  The area also has a reputation for civil disturbance which makes the Watts Riots seem like child's play. Nevertheless,  I have also proactively run ads "looking" in the Hemma university exchange.  I see what you mean about the scams like the absentee landlords who email fake rental applications and expect someone will actually mail a deposit.  I still have some time so I will check out some other options online.

Roomster.com has a listing for entire place to live...

sunshine257 wrote:

Roomster.com has a listing for entire place to live...

Thanks I will periodically check that site.  I am looking at sublease.com as well.  Maybe you can try there for the rental as well.