Social Security Number

Hello,

I just arrived in Malta and I heard that I need to have a social security number in order to be able to apply for jobs and my application to be considered. Is this correct?

I am a bit confused because I thought that it is the other way around- first I have to find a job and then it is employer's obligation to assist me to get the social security number.

Now I have been told that I need this SSN in advance, in order to be considered for a job?
I am an EU citizen.

Could you please shed some light on the situation?
Thanks in advance for any information!

That's correct, if you are planing to have a job here in Malta, you'll need to apply for a SSN asap. Normally, you'll get it on the same day you apply and you just need to find out where's the nearest Social Security Department within the are where you live, and go there in person. It's a very straight forward process.

Good luck!

Antonio

Thanks a lot Antonio!! I will go there even today!
Have a great day and thanks once again!

You're very welcome! Hope you get it sorted ;)

Yes I already have it, it took me 3 minutes! Thanks again! Take care!:)

Interesting. I went to the SS office in Sliema the first week I arrived and the guy told me to come back when I had an employment contract, luckily I can now do that!

hi everyone,

Does anyone know where the closest office to Marsaskala is?

Thanks,
Sergio

https://socialpolicy.gov.mt/en/about-us … ices-.aspx

Zabbar District Office
Centru Civiku, Triq il-Kunvent
Areas Covered: Zabbar, Xghajra, Marsaskala
For road directions click here.
Winter opening hours: 08.00am - 12.00pm and 1.30pm - 4.30pm on Monday to Friday
Summer opening hours: 08.00am -12.00pm on Monday to Friday

you can also fill the form in online now

http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/ssnumber/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks robpw2. Very useful!

Have a good one.

Sergio

CAN I ASK ABOUT SSC  WE HAVE OPTIONS PAY OR NOT? I M NON EU CITIZEN MARRIED WITH EU CITIZEN , OR IT IS COMPULSORY MUST PAY , SO WHAT IS BENEFITS OF SSC  LETS SAY IF I LIVE MY ALL LIFE IN MALTA CAN I RETIRED IN MALTA AND GOVERNMENT WILL PAY ME PENSION OR NOT?  IF ANYONE KNOW I WILL APPRECIATED WITH ANSWER. THANKS A LOT!

your obliged if your working/self employed  to pay your social security contributions- it entitles you to free healthcare the same as the maltese would  recieve

thank you for answer , so i also be retired from Malta and get pension as well? if i live that long in Malta?

You now have to have a job before you can get a SS number. Just take your work contract or a letter from your employer to the SS office and they issue you with your number.

Unless you work as self-employed :) in that case you need to get a SSN before declaring yourself.

I live in Mellieha where is the nearest Social Security Office ? I need to apply for SSN- thanks

Jonessuzanne56 wrote:

I live in Mellieha where is the nearest Social Security Office ? I need to apply for SSN- thanks

If you took the time to look at the link robpw2 provided earlier, you'd find it

Qawra District Office
'Kumpless Access', Triq il-Frejgatina
Areas Covered: San Pawl il-Bahar, Burmarrad, Mellieha, Manikata
For road directions click here.
Winter opening hours: 08.00am - 12.00pm and 1.30pm - 4.30pm on Monday to Friday
Summer opening hours: 08.00am -12.00pm on Monday to Friday