Re: Ferry from Malta to Italy

Hi All,

I am planing a trip by car to either France or Portugal sometime in the summer and I wonder if someone could give me some tips on what's the best way/ferry route to take to Italy. I've read some info on previous posts but the info was a bit mixed up with details regarding other routes and therefore, got a bit confused. If possible, it would be nice to know what's the best operating ferry company for the trip and what would be the best/cheaper route option (Malta to: Pozzalo, Catania, Palermo, Civitavecchia, etc)? Should the ferry tickets be booked with much time in advance? do they operate for the full year or just at some specific seasons? Any advice and information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance ;)
Antonio

Not a lot of choice from  Malta as you can only go to Pozzalo in Sicily with  a vehicle.
From  Sicily there are ferries to Italy from various ports depending on how long you want to be on board.
This site lists all the ferries but they currently do not all operate, you need to trial book to find out if they currently operate and frequency.
http://www.cemar.it/ferries.html
We have driven  a few times and will be off again in June returning in August with our motorhome.
They are all just OK, generally the food is bad and cabins are expensive and seating is bearable for short trips.
Also be aware that they have no problem with cancelling our delaying ferries and letting you know by text at the last minute!! leaving you to find alternative crossing.

Terry

Many thanks for the reply Terry! I am not sure yet when I am going, but it's more likely to be sometime in September. I will have a look at the link to gave me and try to find out which ferry operates on the dates I'll be looking at. Thanks again for the tips and advice.

Cheerio,
Antonio