New year will fall tomorrow for Sri Lankans!

I know many countries celebrate this in Asia. But it differ from one country to other. I would like to share how it is celebrated in Sri Lanka and would like to know how it is in your country.

When is new year?
http://www.slbc.lk/index.php/component/ … m-tomorrow

How do we Sri Lankans celebrate New Year?
New year is an important national holiday for both the  Sinhala Buddhists and the Tamil Hindus in  Sri Lanka.
When the sun moves from the House of Pisces to the House of Aries in the celestial sphere; Sri Lankans begin to celebrate New Year. In Sinhala it is called as Aluth Avurudda and in Tamil as Puththandu. Normally this period Sun is above Sri Lanka and it is the end of the harvest season.

All the cultural rituals are done followed by auspicious times.  First event is the lighting of an oil lamp. Then they make new fire to make milk rice. Then business transaction and eating milk-rice and other cultural foods.
Ladies play a kind of drum with singing cultural songs and kids are plying new year special games.

What is New Year  in detailed?
http://www.sriexpress.com/articles/item … l-cooking.

Wishes from US
http://www.hirunews.lk/81132/us-secreta … l-new-year
html

Wishing  happy new year  to you and all the Sri Lankans ................
Here are the different new year days in India....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_New_Year's_days

Regards,
Anil

Hi Mal, I wish you „ein gutes neues Jahr“.  ;)

Elwin

Hi Elwin,

You wished her in singhalese language........great

Regards,
Anil

El_Jost wrote:

Elwin

Vielen Dank und wünsche Ihnen das gleiche!
Ich übersetzte es in google :D

aryavrat wrote:

Hi Elwin,

You wished her in singhalese language........great

Regards,
Anil

No Anil, Its ok because no one can find Sinhala language in any translation help. It is not a popular language :D

Excellent OP.
Thanks for informing us and ..... happy new year.

mal wrote:
El_Jost wrote:

Elwin

Good thing you told me about Google above lol

Last night I laid down on the bed early, sort of just to rest, not to sleep.
About half past eight or so I noticed a lovely full moon rising over the hill opposite where we live.
I wondered to myself:
Does the start of your New Year have something to do with this full moon,
or was that just coincidence?

Be careful Mr. Elwin this signs shows you are going to become either a poet or a painter........ :)

Regards,
Anil

El_Jost wrote:
mal wrote:
El_Jost wrote:

Elwin

About half past eight or so I noticed a lovely full moon rising over the hill opposite where we live.
I wondered to myself:

Hi El, Fool moon has nothing to do with New Year but this time full moon appeared the same day of New Year. It was a coincident! It is the Bak (April) full moon day. Full moon is a holiday for Sri Lanka as it is a Buddhist country people use to do many religious activities during these full moon days. They go to temples evening/night time (Like we go to church every Sunday)
Got even a slightest idea El?? :D

mal wrote:
El_Jost wrote:
mal wrote:

I wondered to myself:

Hi El, Fool moon has nothing to do with New Year but this time full moon appeared the same day of New Year. It was a coincident! It is the Bak (April) full moon day. Full moon is a holiday for Sri Lanka as it is a Buddhist country people use to do many religious activities during these full moon days. They go to temples evening/night time (Like we go to church every Sunday)
Got even a slightest idea El?? :D

Hey mal,
So this year all the Sri Lankans have enjoyed the new year more then past years.....because of full moon......Yes Buddhist they do their rituals in Full Moon Day because Sidharth (Gautam Buddh) got enlightened in the Full Moon Night..............In India we have holiday in that day of the full moon in which he got enlightened and we called that day as Buddh Poornima...............

Regards,
Anil

What I did not know at the time was that many hours later while it was viewed from
America the full moon turned into a total eclipse resulting in a Blood Moon. Some say if there are three more such blood moons in a series it can portend disaster.  :unsure

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/038/519/i02/total-lunar-eclipse-april-15-tyler-leavitt.jpg?1397551235

Not exactly but some predictions always happened in India in any Lunar eclipse or Solar eclipse....................
I don't believe in this theories ........but in ancient times it was a best reading periods for moon and sun in India........

Regards,
Anil

mas fred wrote:

Excellent OP.
Thanks for informing us and ..... happy new year.

Thank you Fred :)

aryavrat wrote:

Hey mal,
So this year all the Sri Lankans have enjoyed the new year more then past years.....because of full moon......Yes Buddhist they do their rituals in Full Moon Day because Sidharth (Gautam Buddh) got enlightened in the Full Moon Night..............In India we have holiday in that day of the full moon in which he got enlightened and we called that day as Buddh Poornima...............

Regards,
Anil

No Anil, your talking about Wesak (May) full-moon day! It reminds the birth, enlightenment and the death of Lord Buddha. All the temples, streets and gardens of every Buddhist people will be decorated with colorful Wesak lanterns and beautiful pandols will be every city to demonstrate  550 Instructional stories of the Lord Buddha's past births! :)

My apologies for posting the red moon details on this thread. On reflection I see it was not the best place to do so.  :sosad:

aryavrat wrote:

Be careful Mr. Elwin this signs shows you are going to become either a poet or a painter........ :)

Regards,
Anil

Once again I must report some more sloppy lines:
(It must be my old age lol)

It's just 7:40 am here.
At exactly 7:19 I was in the kitchen making my second cup of coffee. (I am an addict  :) )
Exactly then I was looking across the valley when the rim of the sun popped up over the hill top throwing the first rays of dazzling light onto us.
The place is still very quiet and peaceful at this time in the morning.
Granted there is a little sound of the occasional car or tram passing along the valley but that is some 100 meters away so it doesn't cause much disturbance.

Isn't the world wonderful place at times like this?

El_Jost wrote:

It's just 7:40 am here.
At exactly 7:19 I was in the kitchen
making my second cup of coffee. (I am an addict  :) )
Exactly then I was looking across the valley
when the rim of the sun popped up over the hill
top throwing the first rays of dazzling light onto us.
The place is still very quiet and peaceful at this time in the morning.
Granted there is a little sound of the occasional car
or tram passing along the valley
but that is some 100 meters away
so it doesn't cause much disturbance.
Isn't the world wonderful place at times like this?

Lovely poem El :)

You are already poet of the forum..........Mr. Elwin

Regards,
Anil

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR