Internet in Gambia

Hi.

What is Internet connection like in Gambia? Are certain places in Gambia better for Internet than others? What sort of speeds do you get and are there many dropped connections? For example, how reliable is it for something like Skype?

Thanks,
Bod.

internet is fantastic in Gambia,

INternet is very variable in Ganbia. There are internet cafes of varying quality. Now it is possible to purchase sim cards for your phone which you can buy data for. Qcell has the best receptionover the largest area but is the most expensive. If youo have plenty of money that is the one to get. I used Africell and got by, but when I lived in Tanji or visited my old home in gunjur I had no reception for internet. You an buy a usb data dongle too and a sim card for that. Go to a cafe whenever possible, cheaper and better. The gamcell ones are the best. I fond it strange that the internet is so much better in Guinea than in Gambia. There was some problem with the cables along the west coast missing Gambia or something like that. By the way, no offence but I don't think it is helpful telling people things like electricity is very reliable or internet is great when it just isn't unlessyou are n one good spot. It may be good in a few places, but not many or everywhere. Also impportant to mention for those who may rely on it that skype and viber are being compromised by the government and communication can be very difficult. I know because I have barely been able to speak with family there the last few months and it is breaking my heart.

Thanks Mollycrow - very useful and informative!

I'm in Sanyang and use a 'fixed wireless' system from QCell. This means I have an aerial on my house and get a signal from a station about 5 miles away in Batokunku. The installation cost was about 20,000D and the subscription is from 7,200D for 3 months for 1Mbps to 10,000D for 3 months for 5Mbps. It's not the fastest but its good enough for Skype and video.
Some sites which are critical of the Gambia government are blocked but some site which are blocked in UK/Europe for copyright reasons are not blocked in Gambia.