Oman Employment Visa Labour Clearance Delays

I learn from the media (Times of Oman, Nov 27, 2013) that the Ministry of Manpower has stopped issuing visas to non-Omani marketing professionals. The media article elaborates, "Earlier, the government had issued curbs on employment in the construction and cleaning sectors, and the bar was meant to stay in effect for six months. The ban came into effect from November 1."

If my memories are correct, 'Marketing professionals' can range from category A- category E of manpower classification, as per the website of Ministry of Manpower. However,based on earlier circulars, Category E, ideally white collar professionals, required 'omanization' of less than 30-40%.

So, is this regulatory development a blanket ban on 'Marketing Professionals' or, is there more granularity to it?

Also, can someone shed more light on-- which all other sectors are wounded by this regulatory development?

Hi sam,
i am also facing the same problem nw.did u get the job in gulfar.pls do reply.
thnking u

Hello Mr. Sumitran,

Presently I am employed in Qatar and staying in Doha with my family. I got an offer from Oman company and planning to re-locate in Muscat. I am asked to do the medicals in India if coming from india but If I come from Qatar no Medicals are required for entry visa.
Do I have to do the Medicals once entered in Muscat ? My wife is HBs Ag positive with very viral load and its not communicable, she has got the Qatar VIsa will she get the Oman Visa?

Please reply urgently.

Satish Kumar2908 wrote:

Hello Mr. Sumitran,

Presently I am employed in Qatar and staying in Doha with my family. I got an offer from Oman company and planning to re-locate in Muscat. I am asked to do the medicals in India if coming from india but If I come from Qatar no Medicals are required for entry visa.
Do I have to do the Medicals once entered in Muscat ? My wife is HBs Ag positive with very viral load and its not communicable, she has got the Qatar VIsa will she get the Oman Visa?

Please reply urgently.

Hi Satish Kumar2908,

Before any employment visa can be issued getting the medicals done is mandatory. And before applying for the resident card a local blood test and physical investigation also needs to be done through the Ministry of Health clinic in Darasit.

About your wife's condition I think she might face an issue, but beyond that I really cannot comment. Show her Qatari visa papers to the local authorities here in case an issue arises.

Best wishes.

praveenuljk wrote:

I learn from the media (Times of Oman, Nov 27, 2013) that the Ministry of Manpower has stopped issuing visas to non-Omani marketing professionals. The media article elaborates, "Earlier, the government had issued curbs on employment in the construction and cleaning sectors, and the bar was meant to stay in effect for six months. The ban came into effect from November 1."

If my memories are correct, 'Marketing professionals' can range from category A- category E of manpower classification, as per the website of Ministry of Manpower. However,based on earlier circulars, Category E, ideally white collar professionals, required 'omanization' of less than 30-40%.

So, is this regulatory development a blanket ban on 'Marketing Professionals' or, is there more granularity to it?

Also, can someone shed more light on-- which all other sectors are wounded by this regulatory development?

Hi praveenuljk,

Check out the latest Omanisation percentages announced by the Ministry of Manpower (MoM) in this front page news item in the 'Time of Oman' of Wednesday, February 05, 2014. You can download the PDF file by accessing this link : http://etimesofoman.com/home.php?timeDate=05-02-2014

Like I have repeatedly mentioned in this forum, day by day, the MoM is taking whatever steps they can to provide gainful employment opportunities to the locals - and bear in mind, all those jobs would have to necessarily come from the expatriates who are currently holding them.

sir i am mechanical engineer from india i have sent my documents for visa to a oman company.it is 40days from i sent the documents.i got the job when i attended the interview.please tell me how long will it take to get oman working visa.

I see that there are many very concerned candidates wanting to know how long a particular labour clearance would take. It is a million dollar question.

So for all those who would like to know the latest updates regarding the government's policies on employing expatriates in the Sultanate, reading the following published news item would be of great information and help.

Above all this much publicised news item would serve as an eyeopener on the prevailing employment scenario for the many anxious candidates waiting to get their employment visas : http://www.timesofoman.com/News/Article-29950.aspx

@ Sumitran:

Thank you Mr. Sumitran for your kind reply. With high unemployment among local population, now, I understand the rationale of Omani Government to dole out such protectionist policies. I also understand that labor clearance is contingent on prerequisites imposed by the Government.

However, having said, I wanted to know, say, if a company meets all prerequisites, and if they submit their request for labor clearance, then what is the time frame required to clear this regulatory process? Forgive me if i sound harping on the oft-quoted question, but my query is stressed on a counter-factual event that is independent of Omanization.

Thanking you, once again.

That's a pretty simple and straightforward query praveenuljk !

If the company has met / exceeded the stipulated Omanisation targets; holds the job clearance for the required slot; and if all other paperwork is properly in place, then to get the employment visa for that job should not take any more than 48-hours and sometimes even in just 24-hours !

Sumitran wrote:

That's a pretty simple and straightforward query praveenuljk !

If the company has met / exceeded the stipulated Omanisation targets; holds the job clearance for the required slot; and if all other paperwork is properly in place, then to get the employment visa for that job should not take any more than 48-hours and sometimes even in just 24-hours !

... well, to get a Labour Clearance is more laborious and time consuming as it would have to pass through many different levels within the Ministry of Manpower before a company could be granted one.

Remember that the authorities would try their level best to delay / refuse granting the clearance on one pretext or the other. So the company's request for getting a new Labour Clearance would go back and forth a few time at the very minimum before one gets granted.

Now how long that process would take is up to the whims and fancies of the authorities.

@ Mr. Sumitran,

I appreciate your expeditious reply. I thank you once again.

Hi Sumitran,

I am currently in Saudi Arabia and planning to go to Oman as I got a good offer there. As I am not getting exit from my current employer I am planning to go on exit re entry to India and from there to Oman.

Could you please advise me on this matter, whether there is any issue in  stamping Oman visa in a passport which has valid Saudi visa.

Thanks.

Hello MadhuJ,

I have responded to a very similar query elsewhere in the forum recently.

However the answer to your question is No. You cannot concurrently hold 2 valid visas of 2 GCC countries. It is considered illegal.

See below a legal expert's opinion on that subject :

Please note that expatriates cannot hold resident visas of two GCC countries. As per the GCC regulations, no expatriate is allowed to hold resident visas of two GCC countries concurrently (except under special circumstances). You must cancel one visa to be eligible for residence in another GCC country. Even if you obtain visa without revealing the full facts, you will not be able to regularise your status once the authorities in the destination country notice the presence of a valid GCC resident permit from the other country in your passport. This, however, will not be applicable if the resident visa has already expired. (Source : http://www.timesofoman.com/News/Article-31183.aspx).

Good luck.

Thanks Sumitran for the quick response!

I have checked this with few other persons and got the responses that many people do this without any issues, and they only asked to cancel the other GCC residency permit while renewing the Oman one only. Means they will allow to enter initially without any issues. And I know personally someone hold Saudi and Dubai residency simultaneously.

And also I would like to know that initially in Oman we will get the business visa or the residency permit.

Thanks!

Hi MadhuJ,

Well, what the ‘Legal Expert' says and what your sources say is totally contradictory. I leave it to your judgement.

To enter Oman first you need either a visit visa or an employment visa.

Residence Permit can be processed only after you are in the country and complete the required formalities like getting the medical tests done, fingerprints taken, photograph clicked, etc, before your Residence Card can be issued.

If you are planning on joining as an employee then you will not be issued with a business visa. If your employer is in a rush to get you over, they will bring you in on a visit visa and then convert it to their employment visa provided they hold the necessary permissions and labour clearance for that job.

Thanks Sumitran!

Good day to all.

My wife and I  have gotten a job with the newly opened Salalah Rotana Resort.
She has received her visa and has already started working in Oman however mine is still in the process.
It has been two months waiting , I got an email from the HR department from the hotel saying that they just recently received the final approvals to apply less than 2 weeks ago and that my visa is among the ones presented to the immigration,  but yet it has not been issued and they have to wait for Immigration to do their  process.
How much longer do you think I need to wait for the process to be complete and is there a way to contact someone somewhere in the immigration office to check for it myself.

Thanks

I  am on familt visit visa in Oman for 3 months. I am hired from a newly venture retail industry in oman. But until now I dont sign offer letter nor contract for the job, I use to asked and checked but the managers told me to wait for sometime because PRO still on process for the working permit. The manager who hired me told that I dont have to worry once my working visa will be ready he will probably call me to start sign and start the work. This month is holy ramadan and as started of the omaniAtion also that leads me to panic. Last time I talked them the store opening will be next week and they will still call once working permit will be ready.  How many days will the working permit be ready? Please responce me as I am pressure now.

few days back i got job in oman they send me offer latter which i accepted and send to them . now i am facing a problem that i have ears problem and i use earing aid to listen properly would this will be check in my medical which company takes in oman? is it will be a problem for me if i tell them about this by my own? i have already clear my medical in my home country and send them for visa processing. please guide me on this issue

Is there any new policy from the Omani Minister of Manpower that issuance of Visa to female professionals were cancelled/stopped. Is there any exceptions to the new rule?

Please advise

hi i am wait visa for last 5 months i dont know delay of visa. my compay said please wait.please any body tell to me what the correct for delay the visa.

hi guys...

hi guys...im new with this blog....actually i became interested to join in this forum because of some important matter that i would like to ask and i hope that you can help me....i already received an job offer from a restaurant company in oman muscat my question is. is a job offer is an assurance that i am totally hired? hope somebody can help me?

Hello sir,

I got an offer from one of oman construction company  .the thing is that they are asking to come on labour visa as I am graduate civil engineer in india.is it ok to enter oman with labour.kinsly suggest me.

jemar casgapa wrote:

hi guys...im new with this blog....actually i became interested to join in this forum because of some important matter that i would like to ask and i hope that you can help me....i already received an job offer from a restaurant company in oman muscat my question is. is a job offer is an assurance that i am totally hired? hope somebody can help me?

Hi Jemar,

No it's not an assurance. You have to under go medical examinations thru GAMCA accredited clinics in Manila or in your place if there are.You should pass this.  In my case, I am a direct hire, all my papers (passport, red ribbons and medical certificate) were sent to Oman and my visa will be processed there.

Did you apply through an agency? Or you were directly interviewed by the employer in Oman? Still you need pass through an Agency it will guide you on your papers. Another thing is that, some Agency do collect placement fee and it is equivalent to a month salary + 12% vat. You have to clear this to your employer.

I hope this has helped you.

Goodluck,

Robert

hello,
iam currently in uae residence visa with my family. i got an offer in oman. ca n i shift to oman in residence visa with my familys member from uae together ? can some body advise? can my company in oman from where i was offered job process my residence visa for me and my family while we are staying in dubai. then once dubai visa is cancelled can we enter oman together in residence or i have to send my family back to india and process for my family visa once i enter oman in residence.

Hello nahtufmubhid,

The local labour laws state that any expatriate employee has to complete 6 months of continuous employment to be able to qualify for applying for the family joining visa.

Also, a minimum salary of R.O. 600/- is now mandatory to be eligible to avail of the family joining status

Good luck.

hi sumitran,
my salary is 3500RO so i will qualify for that requirement. but is it sure that i can bring my family after six months, that is hurting. can u reconfirm or any other alternative.

Well, that's the rule.

Check with your Omani employer's company PRO for the latest update on the subject.

Perhaps there are some amendments to that rule.

Good luck.

I RECENT GOT A OFFER IN OMAN AS ENGINEER. I ALSO RECEIVED MY EMPLOYMENT VISA BUT IT DOES NOT SHOW MY PROFESSION ANYWHERE. HOW CAN I BE SURE THAT THE I HAVE BEEN OFFERED AN ENGINEER VISA. PLEASE HELP ME...

Sumitran wrote:

Hi MadhuJ,

Well, what the Legal Expert says and what your sources say is totally contradictory. I leave it to your judgement.

To enter Oman first you need either a visit visa or an employment visa.

Residence Permit can be processed only after you are in the country and complete the required formalities like getting the medical tests done, fingerprints taken, photograph clicked, etc, before your Residence Card can be issued.

If you are planning on joining as an employee then you will not be issued with a business visa. If your employer is in a rush to get you over, they will bring you in on a visit visa and then convert it to their employment visa provided they hold the necessary permissions and labour clearance for that job.

I can add onto this with some facts.  I think holding dual GCC residencies is an issue only within Oman. For around 2 years, I had dual residencies in Dubai and Saudi.  I used to travel every week to Saudi and come back on the weekends to stay with my family in Dubai - never an issue.  Now, I have dual residencies of Dubai and Bahrain as well as all members of my family.  Again no issue with authorities on either side.  I have gotten my ID cards, driving licences and all related materials on both side with a passport which has both residencies on it.  I am not debating as to whether its legal or not; just the fact that three countries in the GCC never seemed to have an issue with it.  I guess its only Oman that does.

Oh and yeah, whenever I applied for residencies e.g. Saudi or Bahrain, I gave them my existing residencies to be exempt from the requirement of going back to my home country to do a GAMCA medical.  I did the pre-employment medicals in Dubai always.  So it's not hiding any facts as per the Legal Expert opinion.

Hi,

I am an Indian working currently in Bahrain for last six months. I have got a better offer from Oman and I would like to join there. But, my current employer is not ready to cancell my Bahrain Visa and give me final exit. So my doubt is, is it possible to get a Omani employment vis without cancelling my current Bahrain visa.

Also please let me know is it possible to convert my Bahrain driving license to Oman driving license. My Bahrain driving license was issued six months back.

Please help me.

Arun

how much time it took to get your visa

Congratulations on your journey.

But anyone can help me about this.. Thanks!

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … ?id=407738

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407738

schaz wrote:
nn123 wrote:

hi some one can help me

i got good offer from oman after my interviw my employer told me now your job application we send to ministry for labour clearance but now its almost one month still i didnot receive offer letter from them weekly am contacting employer but as per them should be wait some more days. any one can advice me ? is it any challanges now going on oman?

Sometimes it takes even 2 months to get the visa clearance. It also depends upon which position, you've been hired. Now a days, the visa procedures in almost all the GCC countries have gone a bit complicated. In Oman, the major impact is due to the omanization. However, I would suggest you do not put ur resignation to your current employer in your country untill and unless you get the visa in your hand.

how long do you think we have to wait for the offer letter? I mean in the longest time scenario how many months do you think the process will take?

I got offer letter and then after 1 week medical then after send 1 week latter submitt document.  So my concern is how to long days arrive For visa employer should written in offer letter for 3month probation period so which type of visa Giving Me so pls ans me????

Hi...

i just want to ask how many days the working process of visit visa to oman? Thanks

hi ,

you told that you got your certificates attested, in which departments did you get attestation from, please tell me because i need to get attestation too.

Hi Sumitran,

I have an offer Letter from a Reputed Oil & Gas consultancy in muscat.They have asked me to resign the present organsation after I am medical fit.I received my medical report & i am fit too.However i wrote a mail to oman company that i will resign once i receive my visa.

Request you to suggest me should i Resign the present organsation with medical fit report or wait for my visa arrival.

Request you for an expert advise.

Dear Krishna,

In my openion you must wait untill u receive the visa from your prospective employer. There can be some unexpected delays can happen for labour clearance. I dont know much about the technical side of this. But I am telling this from my own experience. My prospective employer asked me the same. But for safe side i didnt resigned, and later it took some more months to get my visa. Once I received my visa only I filed my resignation. I think it will be the safer side for employees.

Thanks