Did Neandertals interbreed with our ancestors?

There have been news headlines in recent years commenting on studies suggesting that Neandertals and early humans interbred in the distant past so that modern man has some Neandertal genes.

How does this idea strike you?
Please comment.

I too get surprised when i read this today...........but they got some prrof for that,and experiments are still going on......so can't be refused......

I use several forums; most have members that seem Neandertal.

It is known (from genetic studies) for years that humans interbred with their contemporary Neanderthals. The extent of this, however, varies geographically: Europeans have approx. 5% Neanderthal genes, East Asians 3% and black Africans none (because no Neanderthals lived in Africa). There was another genetic intermixing with another species of hominids, the so-called Denisovans, which is even stronger (up to 7%) in Asians than in Europeans (but again not present in Africans). These results are used to reconstruct migrations of early humans around the world.

Here you can see some introductory information for those who skipped biology classes:

Human evolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

Timeline of human evolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o … _evolution

My independent opinion is that everything and everybody who got in contact with early humans and regular humans after that was doomed.  :o
Stay away from mankind ...   :(

Apparently the area with most intensive intermixing between humans and Neanderthals was in nowadays Rumania. Denisovan's intermixing happened mostly in Central Asia.

John C. wrote:

Here you can see some introductory information for those who skipped biology classes:

Human evolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

- snip -

Interesting information in the "Human evolution" article that you quote.

Under the heading Recent and current human evolution
"It has been argued that human evolution has accelerated since, and as a result of, the development of agriculture and civilization some 10,000 years ago.

On the other hand the more widely accepted view is that farming slowed down if not stopped evolution in humans as there is substantial evidence to show that early modern humans such as the Cro-Magnon were larger and physically fitter than modern humans."

You disputed this in your IQ thread when I mentioned it recently. See #70.

Hello Sir,

Its really wonderful information and facts.......

Regards,
Anil

For more information on this subject watch this short video from the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig.  :)

The Neandertal in us

Hi Elwin,

I am unable to open this link may be my net connection is slow or what else i don't know...........but i will try again later.......

Regards,
Anil

Another interesting article on this subject.
Neanderthals may have helped East Asians adapting to sunlight

BTW Most research I have seen suggests that the place where interbreeding may have taken place is in the Middle East.  :/

Its really amazing map showing how they migrate...........

Find activities and meet other expats

OR