Let's Talk About Njol

My point and others is legit. Why would someone pay twice the amount per square foot for construction (all being equal) ? There's a reason that some "purchasers" are not responding back when they are looking to build in Trujilo. They purchased a lot, then want to build... Once quoted a price... They are overwhelmed vs what were told or thought.

Been through this over 13 years ago .. And it's the same. Even sub contractors I know will still try to get more when should get less. Now place a foreign owned company in to the mix.. Things get complicated/ $$$... More $$$

I have been working over the Internet for about 2 weeks looking for a reasonably priced property in the Carribean.  I want beachfront with a nice strong cement house in a guarded community.  So far the one that ticks all the boxes for me is a place about 10 minutes from la ceibe.  I keep searching and checking Mexico and the Bahamas but they cost way more and if you want to be on the beach it's more than double the cost.

What are the rules in these developments?  Do you have to use their builders and make them all the same? 
What is better to be hooked up to city water or your own well?
How much is insurance on the beach?

Is it possible to buy 5 or 6 lots and build one house in the middle lot.  I don't like to be that close to other people's houses I am from Canada and live in the mountains on a lake with only neighbors a few months in the summer. I'm not a hermit but I do like privacy.

Has anybody ever been robbed inside one of these developments?

Can a canadian own a gun in honduras for home protection.

I would like a golf cart to go from the restaurant/bar to my house are they allowed in those developments?  Does anybody own a car or truck and leave it at the resort?  I would like a 4x4 and tint the windows so I don't look like such a white tourist.

Sorry lots of questions, I have found the development I want now I am just searching other resorts comparing prices.  I still keep coming back to the resort near la ceibe.  It has a house design with a deck on the roof with a 360' view and private pool. 👍

Cool. Good luck.

Different developers have different requirements as far as building goes. The development that you are interested in has no time limit for lot purchasers to build. But, does require they build the homes. I do agree with this logic. There will be no control over quality, possible theft etc etc. And along with the lowest cost to build… you can't go wrong.

Well water is a great thing considering city water goes out and sometimes does not have good pressure, especially in 2 or 3 story beach homes. The Red Spanish 2 story w/ roof top terrace has bot city and well water as a backup.

Homeowners insurance for a typical 2 story beach home of let's say…. 2200 square feet is around $1,000.00 USD per year. This usually includes, fire, theft, flooding and hurricanes.

It is possible to purchase more than just one lot and build a new home in the center for more privacy. I'm sure you will get a discount too !! I know of a property that fits your exact needs.

I don't know of any clients of mine or other developments having homes robbed. Location, location and location

Foreigners can have a gun on their property. If you want a concealed weapons permit, there are ways to obtain one.

Golf cart, 4 wheelers are accepted everywhere in La Ceiba on main roads and developments.

Ones leave cars and SUV's at there homes when they are not there. 4x4's are awesome…drive down the beaches, going through rivers and of course on bad roads they usually hold up better.

It's ok for you to say the name….

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)

I totally agree with you Bozey...we didn't buy with NJOL ,but it's so true what you said...we actually bought a lot  at TBED, and went there twice, we love Trujillo area...good luck with your investments everyone!!

There has not been any robberies inside  our location at La Ceiba Beach Phase one. There security on site 24 hrs. And the people that work there are very extraordinary carring workers that oversee the maintenace and security of your home investement

Good luck with your investment as well Pateau and thanks for the well wishes.

I recently spoke with a rep at njoi and I'm having a hard time justifying the the 90 thru $110.00 a square foot price quoted.  The building material and the labor costs just do not add up.  Its a great deal for the builder but definitely not for the buyer.  As a person who has bought residential and commercial properties over the years I always consider resale value if and when the time comes.  At the current price of a njoi lot and home I believe it would be difficult to sell and break even.  Keep in mind one would also be competing with njoi and other developers who can sell brand new homes/lots for your asking price.  I've seen this happen many times over the years.  While I don't have a dog in this fight I've been considering investing in a retirement home in La Ceiba or Trujillo for the last year.  I've contacted hondurachris several times about specific homes and dimensions and he has never replied.  I've decided not to look him up when I visit Honduras during the Christmas, New Year time frame.  I'll continue researching and hope to narrow my selections for a visit.  Any input from my expat friends will be appreciated.  I am fluent in Spanish and English.

You can contact me here by Private Message. Why wouldn't you want to see all your options on your visit ?!?

Are we allowed to post pictures of the homes being built in these developments.  I would sure like to see what they look like inside and out.  I really like the look of the homes being built in la ceiba beach club.  I like the styling.  I would sure like to get a place there but I am 41 and had a stroke last year.  That is why I am retiring and looking for a beach house somewhere.  But I need a good hospital near by so the wife is wanting to buy in hawaii.  But I might buy in both.  Is it possible to buy a lot and build a house in honduras and just rent it out?  What are the chances of being able to get renters at one of these developments?  It would be nice to rent it out and cover the taxes, insurance, HOA fees.

You can rent a home in LCBC pretty easy. Why ? Because clients searching for a home or land will want to stay on site there to feel it out. Then, there are vacationers wanting a place to rent. There's also the American military base in Honduras.. That have vacation time. They look for beach areas and nightlife. Tesla and Trujillo don't have anything like La Ceiba has for this.
You can post pics if you desire here. You can also go to the property for sale directory that has homes for sale for pics.
Pics to me can be mulnitpliated or whatever you can or want to call it. Videos... Are MUCH better. Simple Google or YouTube search such as "la ceiba beach homes and bungalows" should give you an idea of what is available and an idea of pricing. Lowest price around for pre construction homes and real beach properties is LCBC.

There is a thread on this site talking about a development in Trujillo. New potential clients asked a simple question. No one... Not even supposed purchasers would reply. The thread ended up with a lot of question of cist to build a home. In the end... No answered or is building at the huge price per square foot/meter.

Sometimes not going with "the big guy" is a lot better.

Reality is just this... Someone can have $12,000,000.00 and say I want to do This in This country. Well.., things can happen. But, reality will overcome them in the end anywhere in Central America, South America and even Mexico.

I've expanded my ideas and reality recently to The Bahamas. Been there and still trying to figure things out. This meaning for me to make money, clients happy, affordable and so in. Still trying.
Recently, I purchased property on an island off the coast of Florida. A bridge there to drive over to the island vs a boat ride or flight.

There's a place for everyone under the sun for everyone... You just got to find it.

Renting a beach view with beach access or a direct beachfront home in La Ceiba is easy. It just depends on what someone wants to to receive ($) per month or year.

My point throughout the years is simply .. Do not try or become greedy. You can have a fantastic, rustic, tropical home and blow it only because you want $600.00 per night when it's worth $145.00 USD.

Investors follow my move. I guess it's from
A timeline .. This meaning a track record in La Ceiba. Sometimes but not all the time but I do forward foreigners info that makes their life become.... Let's say awesome.

Being a realist makes lots of people happy !!

Cheers
Chris Barrett

Hi Bozey, I have been off for some time but right now I am back in Trujillo at Campmomento . I was out to the Njoi properties the last few days and am very impressed with the way things are going here my house is well under way and the whole development is really starting to take shape. The big gazebo is nearly done the tennis court is in it final stages Allthat is left on that is the painting of the white lines. This is going to be a top of the line first class resort their are about 120 workers on sight .A lot of the concrete roads are in I am very pleased. With the rainy season here they can't do much at Njoi Santa Fe properties yet but. I am sure in the early spring they will be going gun ghost over there too. I drove down here this time but do not recommend coming that way. I wanted to bring my truck and camper down here and leave them here so whenever I return I will have wheels and a place to stay with very little cost . I will go for now    Will be meeting you one of these days  Jerry

Jerry,
I happy to hear that you arrived safely. I was following your travels on Facebook and was impressed that you would take that adventure on. I appreciate you updating us on this blog. I started this forum so that our neighbours in Njoi would have a place to share their experiences and update each other with the progress. I really appreciate you being part of it and I look forward to some day sharing a cold one with you and your family in Honduras.

Thanks again Jerry and NJOI your time in Honduras.

BOZEY

Bozey....this is the cherry family..njoi a cold one with jerry at the campamento hotel.  Just got in trujillo last night from toronto ontario canada.  Here for the grand opening of the njoi trujillo development.  Can't believe the changes in just 2 short years.  Will keep you posted when we get to our lot 21...

Patricia,
It is good to hear from you. I hope you have a great time at the grand opening. I wish Judy and I could be there. I look forward to hearing some updates. Thank you for joining in the forum. Have a great time and say hi to Jerry for me.

BOZEY

Hi guys . I am back in Honduras again . It was just to cold in Edmonton. I flew this time . The house is coming along pretty good. The first house is nearly finished and second house is about half done with close behind. The fourth house is due to start shortly. It is all laid out. The rainy season.is nearly over and things will really start moving once it does come to an end . They will be able to get back on the roads and move over to Njoi Santa Fe and start there.they will also be starting the condos on the Santa Fe site. I'm here till the 16 th but hope to be back in Jan. I just love it here hopefully next year I will be able to spend the whole winter here. I will let you go for now  Jerry

The weather in Honduras started early this year. Bad weather meaning rain, wind and beach erosion and tide changes. I believe Rainey season will end very late this year as this year has been very very wet early and tides being not seen in years.

honduraschris wrote:

The weather in Honduras started early this year. Bad weather meaning rain, wind and beach erosion and tide changes. I believe Rainey season will end very late this year as this year has been very very wet early and tides being not seen in years.

Have you noticed the water level coming up over the years in Honduras?  I watched a show on Miami's water levels rising and they have built walls to keep the sea water out and with pumps.  Is the same happening in Honduras?

Jerry,

Thanks for the updates, they are much appreciated. Glad to hear you took the safer route down this time!! I am amazed by your update this time. I had no idea they would be starting on Santa Fe this early. I know you have properties in both Trujillo and Santa Fe. Are you going to start building in Santa Fe soon or are you concentrating your efforts on getting your Trujillo house built? And they are starting the condos in Santa Fe....wow.

It is always great to hear from you Jerry. Your updates are much appreciated. I hope you NJOI your stay in Trujillo and I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Until next time.

BOZEY

Hello all, beautiful day here today. Sun shinning and calm seas. . WeWill probably start our second house a year from ,once the rainy season is over. I think it will be lot 2 , that way there will be less delays. The rainy season is not a very good time to be building down here as the weather really can cause a lot of delays and set backs. We saw a dolphin swim by a couple of days ago about 100 feet off shore here at Campamento and it did some pretty neat jumps for us. I will go for now . Will be seeing you one of these days.  Jerry

Judy and I would like to wish all of the Njoi community the Happiest of Holiday Seasons. We congratulate Dick and Monica on being the first to build in our development and look for to the day when we are in the same position. Congratulations to Paul, Lucia, Gino and Christina for the grand opening. It looked like a lot fun. We look forward the opening of Santa Fe.
Keep the pictures and updates coming guys...it really adds to the excitement.

BOZEY

Hi all, new to this blog site, glad to be a part of it, we were in Trujillo in December and had a great visit with the Njoi team. Meeting Jerry and the Campamento crew was also fun. My wife Helen and I bought Lot #8 in Sante Fe, we are very excited about the development and are hoping to begin construction once next years rainy season is over. Ideally we would like to have the place ready for winter 2016. Looking forward to meeting all of our new neighbours once we are settled in and having a few cold ones, just hope we can get hockey on the tv. :D  And to hondurasChris, yes we did look at other developments but we really liked the site layout, amenities and the beach at Njoi.

That's great for you that found your spot in warm weather. Wish I could have been there to show you around and more options. Life is short for sure and now is the now. This meaning when it is time.. It is time to make a decision/choice and carry forward. Hope your dreams carry forward in your lives. I'm sure my friends and clients will meet with you throughout your life and journey's in Honduras.

Cheers.. Happy New Years to all

Chris

Congratulations on your purchase. Santa Fe lot #8 is in a great spot. We are in lot #5...so just down the hill from you. We are a little further away from building our home than you are, but we look forward to the day when we can meet you.
Please let us know how you are doing as you go through the process.
We are hoping to get back down to Honduras in Feb 2016 to see how things are progressing and to sign our papers.
When are you heading back down?

BOZEY

Hi all.  My husband and I recently put a deposit on lot #63 in Santa Fe.  So we are still at the excitement,  sheer terror stage.  Awesome to read how far some people have come already and really how well it's going.  We are going to Trujillo May 9th for the big tour.  Looking very forward to it.

rherdman wrote:

Hi all.  My husband and I recently put a deposit on lot #63 in Santa Fe.  So we are still at the excitement,  sheer terror stage.  Awesome to read how far some people have come already and really how well it's going.  We are going to Trujillo May 9th for the big tour.  Looking very forward to it.

How are you getting there flying into la ceiba then bus or rive?  Or can you jump on a little plane to Trujillo then to the development?

I was thinking about a helicopter service from the airport directly to these developments.  Safe and quick and get to see the country side from the air.

Just got back from Trujillo Feb 17 th
This was our first trip on our own we flew into Roatan and stayed there a few days to check it out
Then took the morning ferry to La Ceiba rented a car from Avis downtown La Ceiba and drove to Trujillo. Lots of taxi's,s at the  ferry maybe a ten minute trip.  Lisa Garon at Avis speaks great English and is very nice. Print a map from Google or another source because the map from the Avis is a cartoon and of no use.  The road to Trujillo is about a block from the car rental and there is a sign ( which is rare ) You maybe told there is only one road which is not exactly true. You must turn left at Saba and head to Toca and the Trujillo. We missed this turn and got a nice tour of some remote mountain roads,  whole trip will take between 3-4 hours for Ametuers.  We had a great trip

Hope this helps

Congratulations. You will love Trujillo and Santa Fe. We went through the same anxieties that you are going through. It's a combination of fear and excitement!! Once you get a chance to see the development the fear goes and the excitement takes over. I look forward to meeting you some day. We have purchased Lot #5 in the Santa Fe development and we look forward to the time when we can build. Please stay in touch and let us know how your trip goes.

BOZEY

We are flying into San Pedro Sula from Houston.  So we may be overnight there.  Still finalizing arrangements.  Did everyone do a lot of background checking on the partners and the development?  Some info on the Santarossa's but almost nothing on the Todos.  Have been wondering why that is.  Found some interesting stuff on Randy Jorgenson.  He is the developer of the Cruise ship port and the other big resort in Trujillo.

We met Cristina and her husband at the Red Deer Home Show last week. Great people. We put a deposit down but unfortunately backed out after reviewing our financial situation at this time. No hesitation from Cristina when I emailed her for a refund. First class!!! We own two homes. One in Red Deer and the other in Canmore. We are currently renting out our Canmore home till we retire. What our plans for retirement were to have our place in Canmore and a place in a tropical destination. NJOI looks like a beautiful place. I've read this entire blog and have learned quite a bit. Everyone makes good points on the subject. Chris mentioned that the price per square foot is inflated. I decided to do some research and found this paragraph in "International Living" I hope it's ok to cut and paste.

Building and Furnishing Your Home

Building costs in Honduras are very reasonable and many excellent builders and architects are available. Average building costs for a house made entirely of wood range from $45 to $75 per square foot, depending on finish, and from about $65 to $110 or more per square foot for concrete construction (again, depending on quality of finishes you choose). And all finish materials are available, from excellent native hardwoods to granite countertops imported from Europe and the Far East. Excellent quality fixtures and furnishings can be obtained easily on the mainland and will probably cost you less than importing your own from the U.S. San Pedro Sula, in particular, as an industrial center, is an excellent place to shop for automobiles, furnishings, and all other items you may search for after moving to Honduras.

If there is truth to this article then I believe Chris could give us an explanation where he got his facts. I'm not here to slam anyone. I just want to learn as much as I can about this development. Hopefully in time we will be able to move forward an purchase at NJOI.

Maird57,  how was that home show I want to go check one out.  I also would like a place down in the south on a beach.  But who has the time to go down there for any length.  I was thinking since we are canadian and have to live up here for free medical and family and to make big money.  It would make sense to go 1/2 or 1/4 on the land and the build and share the expenses with fellow Canadians.  It's just a thought and would be cool maybe to start a section on this forum to round up other canadians to go in on a purchase down there.  Say a condo for $130,000 split in 1/2? $65,000 each!  And make something in a written agreement if you pull out of the deal within 5 years you have to sell your half to your partner in the deal for the same amount. 

Just an idea.

nelson84
Home show was good. That could work. Set up a corp. Rent out when not in use.