Has living overseas affected your communication with your spouse?

I am curious because I hear stories about the wives being treated differently and being unhappy. Also, I hear about wives being able to help their husbands. Has anyone moved overseas and felt it has affected your married or how you choose to express yourself in that marriage? I was speaking to a lady recently who lives in Saudi Arabia(she's American) and she lives there with her husband. She is unable to drive and I am not sure how things are when women don't feel they are as independent or fully protected, but come from a place that is highly westernized, like the United States or Canada. There are many obstacles which include bureaucracy, culture and employment. I've considered living overseas, but I keep going back and fourth. What are your experiences?

If you go to Rome, you will have to act as a Roman! :) Otherwise avoid Rome!

This is not a problem of wives, but accompanying spouses in general.
Moving to a new place is stressful and requires energy and mental strength. This is easy to master if you do this for a purpose (e.g. career). Less so if you are just following and maybe even gave up valued items (e.g. friends,  home, job) for the move.
Try to concentrate on the positive aspects (every place and every change has them!) and find something meaningful to do (e.g. volunteering) to get over the inevitable bad mood days!

I have never taken my wife with me and never would consider it as I have worked in some rough places where danger is a daily occurance.
She is happy to stay at home with our children and her family around her.

beppi wrote:

This is not a problem of wives, but accompanying spouses in general.
Moving to a new place is stressful and requires energy and mental strength. This is easy to master if you do this for a purpose (e.g. career). Less so if you are just following and maybe even gave up valued items (e.g. friends,  home, job) for the move.
Try to concentrate on the positive aspects (every place and every change has them!) and find something meaningful to do (e.g. volunteering) to get over the inevitable bad mood days!

This is the fact one has to know and very well said beppi........... :top:

Find activities and meet other expats

OR