Gender politics

Hei Norge!

My girlfriend has been living in Oslo for a while, and i'm planning to live there from now on, if i manage to find a job.

But she's been telling me how feminist is Norway. I've been reading about your country for a while, but I didn't realize they had gender discrimination there. How bad is it to live there being a man?

I try to find something about this on the internet, but info is full of contradictions. Don't know if that information is true.

Vennlig hilsen  :)

Gender discrimination? Well you're not about to be tarred and feathered just for being a male if that's what you're worried about.

If you're talking about EQUALITY between the sexes, yes that is a very important part of the day-to-day life in Norway. That said, you'll probably find that it's still far easier to get ahead in Norway if you're a man.

To my knowledge men have not yet been declared "PERSONA NON GRATA" in the country.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks wjwoodward. Its good to know.

But I still read that norwegian enterprises have mandatore gender quotas. Guess it is a lie... http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/ … LM20130930

The gender quota is to protect women not to discriminate against men. It ensures there is a more equal balance of gender in the workplace especially in senior posts.

Feminism is the idea that women can and should have the same opportunities and access to opportunities as men.  If that's an idea that you're uncomfortable with, then you may not like Norway. 

Personally, I find it quite refreshing to see women represented in all types of work, at all levels, and in all walks of life.  As a computer programmer, I would say that my work life is enhanced by having colleagues who are women.

I don't think anyone has a problem being a man here. If you are a a male chauvinist, then I think you will quickly run into trouble with both men and women in Norway. The policy in Norway has been to eliminate discrimination against women. The quotas you mention have been one of the policies deployed. I personally think quotas are dreadful since they are a form of discrimination, and patronise women. They have been introduced with the best of intentions at least.

Perhaps this post might be of interest to you: http://afroginthefjord.com/2014/01/05/t … in-norway/

That's the point. Making enterprises reach these quotas means that they obligate to hire women for positions. Equal opportunities mean that they hire the best person fitted for the job description, regardless of their gender.

Of course I don't want to be in disadvantage for the same job position.

Well, this woman could be perfectly my wife. Denmark, and then Norway. Maybe thats why she likes them. Good for her! But I dont want to search a new job (I am so f**kin happy with my job right now) in an discriminatory environment. Discrimination, positive or negative, is against any equal opportunity idea.

Ingnigear wrote:

That's the point. Making enterprises reach these quotas means that they obligate to hire women for positions. Equal opportunities mean that they hire the best person fitted for the job description, regardless of their gender.

Of course I don't want to be in disadvantage for the same job position.

Don't you think it's a bit strange that men seem to consistently be regarded as the "best person"?  Disproportionately so, in fact?  Doesn't that suggest that maybe there's a societal bias against women taking these positions?  Redressing that irregularity is the idea behind the legislation.

I don't know your background, but I doubt that you're going to walk into a position as a board member at the top of a Norwegian company, so I wouldn't worry about being put at a disadvantage :)

Equality in Norway works both ways, by the way.  If you're a nursery nurse, primary school teacher, or medical nurse, then the school/hospital has the right to choose you over an equally qualified female candidate, because you're a man, and men are underrepresented in these fields.

"I don't know your background, but I doubt that you're going to walk into a position as a board member at the top of a Norwegian company, so I wouldn't worry about being put at a disadvantage :)"

Why do you feel like that? Why are you so disrespectful? I have been plant director for the last 5 years. I've worked in USA, UK and now in Berlin. So yes, I could perfectly take a board member position after all.

Hey guys am currently in South  Africa coming to Norway for studies this year and I really want to make friends coz I don't know anyone that side pliz help.

Ingnigear wrote:

"I don't know your background, but I doubt that you're going to walk into a position as a board member at the top of a Norwegian company, so I wouldn't worry about being put at a disadvantage :)"

Why do you feel like that? Why are you so disrespectful? I have been plant director for the last 5 years. I've worked in USA, UK and now in Berlin. So yes, I could perfectly take a board member position after all.

I am sure there was no disrespectful intention from sctld. If you would look at the statistic on board members for these companies that are governed by the quota law, you would see that the most likely problem to get such a position is not being a man but rather not being Norwegian. We have very few foreign board members here and when they are, they come from the Nordic countries.

Ingnigear wrote:

Absolutely no disrespect meant - hence the smiley face.  If you point out which sentence specifically was disrespectful and why, then I'll be happy to amend it.

As AuNordDuMonde says, foreign board members are a rarity, so that's all that I meant by that.  As AuNordDuMonde also points out, being foreign is going to be a bigger barrier.

But, I would be very happy for you if you proved me wrong! :)