Will my Residence Pass be cancelled if I leave Malaysia?

I've had the Residence Pass - Talent (RP-T) for around 1 year and now I'm considering to leave Malaysia (basically want to do something else after working here for many years). Do you have any idea if my RP-T will be cancelled if I move out? I plan to cash out my EPF account as well since I've accumulated quite a lot there over the years.

Why do I care if my RP-T is cancelled if I wanna move out anyway? Because if I want to move back again in let's say 2-3 years time it will be much easier since the work permit part has already been taken care of then.

If you have one of the passes that is valid for 10 years, it is not associated with a particular employer and so you are free to change jobs (and presumably take a sabbatical. Otherwise the process on resigning your job would be to submit your passport to immigration for cancellation of the work permit.

I wondered the same as I can get one soon but may well leave Malaysia next year for leaves change of scenery so wondered if worth it.

Changing job is definitely not a problem, and it is valid for 10 years. But I'm not so sure if it will be valid if we move out from Malaysia (no longer resident, no address in Malaysia, close EPF account, etc).

It won't be decisive to if I move or not but it would be nice to keep it even if I move. Who knows, might miss KL after a few years away :)

The rationale is that the only reason to get an employment pass cancelled is because you leave the employment of a particular company.

The Talent Visa is different because it is a pure work permit with no attachments. If you leave and come back you still have a valid permit to allow you to seek work.

Mobility is a regular component of the world of work. Having waited so long to be awarded an expert status visa, I certainly would not even think of trying to find ways of giving it up.

If you are not in Malaysia, you are not under immigration rules here. With such good interest rates for EPF investment, which cannot be matched in any other type of account, you should consider leaving it as I believe you can withdraw it at a later stage.

Gravitas wrote:

If you leave and come back you still have a valid permit to allow you to seek work.

Mobility is a regular component of the world of work. Having waited so long to be awarded an expert status visa, I certainly would not even think of trying to find ways of giving it up.

If you are not in Malaysia, you are not under immigration rules here. With such good interest rates for EPF investment, which cannot be matched in any other type of account, you should consider leaving it as I believe you can withdraw it at a later stage.

I'm not looking for a way of giving it up, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be hard to do if that's what you wanted. Do you know from own experience that the RP-T will not expire if you leave Malaysia or are you just applying "common sense"?

As for EPF it might be a good interest rate compared to a fixed deposit but I'd rather have that money cash in hand for other investments. Moving it to a bank savings account was not my idea :)

You wont get any answer from anyone, because it is not really an interesting question.  Permits continue whether you are resident or not.  Ask Talent Corp directly if you don't like what you read on this forum.

How great that you can know that the question is not interesting to anyone. Like what you read or not, I'd rather read the facts than someone just speculating without any facts to back it up. The reason why I asked on this forum is because I think it's likely that someone here have personal experience on this matter.

I'll update this thread again once I have the facts, will ask Talent Corp directly once I have the opportunity. But if you know anything about Malaysia you should be well aware that this is not as simple as just making a phone call and get definite answers.

Hi there,

I know this is quite old post, but can you share the fact of your question if you manage to get it ?

Regards,

Hi Expats Support Team, can help me to advise, for RPT pass is the 15000 RM Basic salary, is it mandatory? please advise.

Yes RPT requires 15k as minimum Salary but need to hold a valid EP to apply for it.

Hi, keen to know your current status and if the cancellation of RPT is necessary if you are leaving g the county..