EEA2/ residency card

Hi Everyone
I would appreciate your help.
I currently have an EEA family permit and I am living in the UK with my European husband. We were married in South Africa and issued an unabridged certificate which is in English.
My question is, in the requirements for acquiring my residency card we will need to provide our unabridged marriage certificate. Does it require an Apostille?
I am not sure?

Many thanks
Jessica

Hi.  In the UK you will not need an apostille.  What you do need to do is get a notarised copy of your certificate.  This is because you never hand over the originals of anything to the Border agency.  They are notorious for 'losing' documents.  Last year boxes of documents were found in a basement that had been there for years.

You do not say what nationality you are but like me I suspect you are American.  In recent years US law changed and we are now allowed to have dual nationality.  Even though I had 4 British born Grandparents and a British born mother I was not entitled to British nationality - the law has recently changed but the Border Agency makes it so difficult I can't be bothered.

I did however claim my Irish nationality and it took about 4 weeks to get the passport.  With a nice shiny red EU passport and my blue one I can live and work almost anywhere I want to in the world.  (The Irish do require an apostille.)

My advice is check out what European nationality you may be eligible for and get that.  Problem solved. And when you arrive at Heathrow Terminal 3 you can decide which queue you want to join.

Thank you.

I am South African and my husband is Lithuanian (EU citizen).
I do not plan on acquiring citizenship just temporary residence in the UK allowing me to travel outside of the UK and re-enter the country without issues.

So I will get our marriage certificate notarised then before submitting.