ISG Jubail or Al Hussan?

Looking at schooling for my two daughters when we move out to Jubail later this year and seem to have two options. Does anyone have experience of either of these two schools? Also where in Jubail is the ISG school? Can find the Al Hussan one on google maps but not the ISG.

Also does anyone know how strict they are on ages for starting as my elder daughter will have finished Primary 1 here in Scotland when she comes over but according to the start ages will have to do Kindergaten 2 which would be a waste of a year of schooling for her.

Cheers
Stuart

Hello, and all the best for your impending adventure.

When I arrived from the UK I was in a similar position.  However it's actually not a problem whichever school you choose.

The thing is school does not officially start in Saudi until age 6. That is you are only accepted into grade 1 if you turn 6 by mid February.

For international schools this does not affect the curriculum or level of teaching. It just means that the names of the grades are different compared to the UK.

For Al Hussan Jubail who teach the British National Curriculum children are taught the same syllabus they would follow in the UK for their age (apart from a few extra requirements such as Arabic language being compulsory from age 6). Therefore it is just the NAME of the grade is different.

UK NAME      TAUGHT     SAUDI NAME     AGE
Pre-school        FSP           PreK                      3
Reception         FSP           KG1                       4
Grade 1       KeyStage1      KG2                       5
Grade 2       KeyStage1      Grade 1                 6
Grade 10    Start GCSEs    Grade 9               15
Grade 11   GCSE finals      Grade 10             16
Grade 12    Start A levels   Grade 11             17
Grade 13    A level finals    Grade 12             18

Therefore if you are told your child is being put back a grade it is actually only in name. However some children are put back 2 grades if the level of education they have recieved previously is lower. But this is infact only being put back 1 grade, and shouldn't apply to British educated children, just thought I'd add that in case this is read by other nationalities.

I believe the same applies for ISG. (Grades are only different in terms of name.)  I know children that go there and the level of teaching is age appropriate/ comparable to UK schools and a similar level to that taught at Al Hussan but taught using the American curriculum instead.
All the best.

Forgot to say that ISG school is close to Al Hussan, they are maybe a 5 minute drive or less apart.

First of all thanks for the comprehensive reply. There are two of us with daughters in the same position.
So my daughter arrives this summer, she turns 6 in december 2014 and will have completed P1 here in Scotland , reception in england, will she start in grade 1 at Al Hussan? In isg according to their website she must be 6 in the sept to get into grade 1.

Yes it's my understanding that your daughter who turns 6 in December should go into grade 1 at Al Hussan from September 2014, because of the different cut off dates.

Please feel free to contact the registrar to confirm the grades by date of birth [email protected].

Also Al Hussan has a waiting list for most primary grades.  If you want a place you need to register in the May for a place in September.  Ask your husband (who I presume is already here or about to arrive) to go to look at the school and get an application pack from the main reception.

Just to let you know if he goes to the main reception all the women will be wearing abayas, but not to worry, in the girls school itself (the building next door) they do not wear abayas as it's for women and girls only, so your daughters won't need to wear an abaya at school.

I don't know the rules or availability of places at the American school. Again your husband can ask for an information pack from the school but like at Al Hussan I'd advise you do this sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the reply. I am the husband. I travel out at the end of May and family will travel in August hopefully. I have emailed both registrars but not had a reply from either. Would have liked a bit more info from them before I fly but might have to wait until I get there and can visit the schools myself and get information.
Thanks again for all you help and information, much appreciated.

Hello Stuart,

Here is the link to ISG Jubail location on Google Maps - http://goo.gl/dKJCnl. It is indeed only 5 min away from Al Hussan.
For further questions, you may contact the registrar Bonnie Forester at [email protected].

Best of luck,
Elena

Thanks Elena, do you have children at school there? Also are you Russian speaker by any chance? I only ask as my wife is.

You're welcome! I am working for ISG but my son is at Al Hussan :) Yes, I am Russian. It is nice to know that your wife is a Russian speaker too. What is her name? She can contact me by email at [email protected] if she has any questions about life in Saudi Arabia :)

Hi Stuart,
Hope you would have been settled in Jubail now and you children in school. I will be travelling from the UK and would like to keep my child in a similar school curriculum when I get to Jubail. He will be in year 2 when we get there. Could you let me know which one is more similar to schools in the UK, is it the Al Hussan or the ISG form your point of view? Would really appreciate your response.

Thanks.

I would check very well with the schools before coming over. People are being turned awy from ISG as its full and last time I checked there was a big waiting list for Al Hassan. Al Hassan uses the british curriculum but is predominately Arab kids. ISG uses the American curriculum but I would say this is ok for primary school.

Thanks for your quick response Stuart. I will start looking at the schools now.
I know this question may not be related to the thread, however, I haven't got an answer from anyone on this elsewhere. Wondered if you could advise. Are housemaids available on part-time basis or full time basis (looking after children) and what could be the expected costs per month. Any clues would be useful.

Yes housemaids are available plenty of Philipino wives looking for work. With regard charges I am not sure but wont be very expensive compared to Western prices. To give you an idea we have a cleaner for a couple of hours twice a week and pay 400 SAR for the month.

Great thanks for the information.

Any one has kids in Aluhssan school?
Is it for boys, girls or both?

I dont have kids there but it is for Girls and Boys.

Thank you Stu 13 for the response!
How can I get information about teachers in this school?
The website has no information on that.

I guess the best way would be email the school, what sort of info do you want?

What qualifications the teachers have? What after school programs are there?

Teachers are pretty much the same qualifications as in Europe and after school program is varied depending on age of the kids. Email them for more info though.

Stu13,
Thank you for your help!
I will email them and ask them.
If I may ask, do you live there in Jubail currently?

Yes been here a year now.

Sorry to keep bothering you with these questions!
Do you know anyone who works in Royal Commission Hospital?

No sorry

HI Stu,
I am now in Jubail, and wanted to know if you could advise on housemaids or cleaners etc in Jubail. Where would be the best place to source one.

Thanks.

Not sure if this is the right forum to be asking about maids, as this is a forum about education ;)