Italo-american in need of advice

Hallo,
My biggest dream would be to relocate from USA to Malta.I am Sicilian but I went to college in USA and lived there since.I have a double citizenship and I am a certified cardiovascular nurse with 8 years experience..I would do anything just to move closer to home and Malta is my dream place.From what I have read I need a language proficiency test (!!!) And certified transcrits...I am so afraid of missing something or not be able to apply....but after that how long and how do I find a job?should I apply in person or how do I find a recruiter? Please help me!!!!thank you I am homesick and desperate.Giuliana

Hi Giuliana,

your first and most important step is to register as a nurse with the Maltese Council for Nurses and MIdwives. This will take some time but it should not be a big problem . The certificates have to be in English but as you are in the US that should be ok anyway otherwise they have to be translated and certified. You can do this from the USA.

Finding a nursing job in Malta should not be too difficult but you have to be in Malta first. The salaries will be a lot lower than what you are used to in the US.

There are 2 state hospitals in Malta and Gozo and several private hospitals. There are also a few cardiologists in private practices.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you Ricky so much! I will gladly trade salary for sunshine and the wonderful feeling of being home.To be clear,when you say certificates, do you mean like notarized?All of my transcripts  are in English already...I think I better give the council a phone call wouldn't't you say?..please if you think of anything else or any lead or detail keep me in mind, I am already thankful for your help but extremely overwhelmed.Thank you again!
Giuliana

Hi giuliana,

it is definitly best to contact the Council and also the Mumn (Union of Midwives and Nurses) to see the exact requirements. As your degree is not from Malta they will want to compare your qualifications to the Maltese standards. That probably also counts for A-levels as they are the Maltese standard and the American college system is different!

As you will be giving them copies of your certificates they need to be certified (like notarized) but you should ask these details directly. Things change!

Please be aware that this process can take very long! As far as I know the Council only meets a few times a year to decide on applications from outside of Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

It sounds like by the time I have a permit to work, I will be ready to retire...!
I have compare their requirements and it looks to me that I have all its needed..there must be somebody like me out there  no?somebody that has gone  from the US to Malta !Anyhow thank you Ricky for all the imput and advice.I welcome any lead or idea at this point....i know I have to call them first and maybe they will give me a step by step outline.
Regards, Giuliana