So exactly how do I go about moving to Crimea nowadays?

I've tried to gain information about this subject but I come up clueless. If we could simply ignore the political ramifications here and focus on the actual reality... What steps would you take? How are visa rules (for a member of the European Union, maybe)? Should you visit the Ukrainian embassy or the Russian embassy? Or both?

How do you go about securing permanent housing in Crimea? Sevastopol or preferrably Simferopol? All I find our links to people renting out apartments per night. How do you get a proper contract?

It is obviously reported that there is "unrest" in Crimea in media. Its territory is at least diplomatically contested. But Western advisors declare it, essentially, a "war zone". Do we have people who live in Crimea here? Are these allegations true?

Any information would be helpful here.

Best, Thomas

It is now Russia, so I would think twice about moving there, especially for anyone from the EU or the USA. The situation is most unfortunate, but that is the reality.  I would make all inquiries with the Russian embassy in your country, however, I seriously doubt they can give you the most up to date answers as Crimea is basically in a type limbo for the time being.

Spdmon, are you a resident of Crimea? Do you see any aggressive behavior from ethnic Russians against foreigners (say English, Swedes, French)... Note that I exclude the United States since are viewed as the sharp sword of the West.

I just would like to know the current, factual conditions there. Sevastopol and the entire of Crimea is a beautiful place. Išm not just saying "screw it" because some big boys make war over my head.

No, I live in Lviv. I just shared information based on two sources. First my Ukrainian friends who live there and have applied to leave Crimea and immigrate to  Ukraine. Second source is from some very dear friends who are in fact Russians from Moscow. They work in Ukraine and have been asked to return to Moscow by April 5. They own property in Crimea, but were advised by their own government that it is not advisable to visit Crimea at this time. I met with my Russian friends on Sunday. Unless some drastic change has happened in the last two days, that's as recently as I can share. I have visited Crimea back in 2008 and it wasn't my cup of tea, but if it is yours, luck to you.

And yes, according to some the gals I know who live in Crimea, there have been pensioners from the UK who have been beaten and robbed over that few weeks. My friends do not know any expats from the States who have retired to there. I'm sure there are, but your guess is as good as mine as to what happened to them. First sign of trouble, they probably took our embassy's advice and evacuated.

Hi all,

Currently I am living in Kiev and want to say that Crimea part is invasion territory blocked by Russia army. I have lot of friends there and can say that they are not so lucky to become the part of RU. They have lot of problems with passport, tax documents, property reregistration etc….
One of the reason is bad Putin's regime as well as poor and weak Kiev governmental strategy….

Nata

If we are going to be completely cynical here shouldn't this plummet the real estate price to an all-time low?

My wife and I also have friends in the Crimea.  I would advise waiting for awhile and see what happens.  A lot of issues need to be resolved and there is no easy fix.  I wish you the very best, but if it was myself, I would wait awhile.

So, now I see your real question.

No one was cynical, you asked ex-pats to tell you what is on the ground and they told you.

Purchasing real estate while the Russians are shooting over your head would not be as valuable as going to Libya, or Syria.

So, if you want profit move to Syria.

Wayne

SPDMON

How are you doing?

I tired to email you, but I did not see the function.

I thought you were based in Odessa, or at least I flew out of Odessa with you last year.

Be safe, I am headed back soon.

Wayne

Thanks, but I wasn't in Odessa last year. In fact I haven't been to the States in three years, so I don't know who you were with on the plane. Last summer, I was in Central Europe. Anyway, nice to here from you whoever you are ... LOL!

Spdmon,
Have you been to Uzhgorod, in the transcarpathian region? I'm going there in May. I see you have great experience in Ukraine,so your advice is always greatly appreciated! I hear it is peaceful there and safe for Americans. What do you think about it or what have you heard about the area? Thanks!

I like Uzhgorod. It is quiet and peaceful. I would also add that Ukraine is no more dangerous than the States. Ukrainians love Europeans and Americans. Contrary to what Russians may think, Ukraine is not Russia. Enjoy your trip .. )))

@Keith. Let me add tha I have throughout Carpathia to Romania and Hungary. Beautiful part of Ukraine. Unfortunately, we did not see Dracula ... ))) Earlier this month we were I Truskavets for the waters.