In relation to the topic of drivers licenses that was removed.

I contacted the guy offering the bike licenses, I was shocked at his price which he told me was cheap.He wants 10.5 million vnd for a license, when I told him that was way too expensive he got his back up and became nasty. Good that he has been removed as the guy has a bad attitude and thinks he is doing us dumb expats a favour.

colinoscapee wrote:

I contacted the guy offering the bike licenses, I was shocked at his price which he told me was cheap.He wants 10.5 million vnd for a license, when I told him that was way too expensive he got his back up and became nasty. Good that he has been removed as the guy has a bad attitude and thinks he is doing us dumb expats a favour.

10.5 mil hey?
Did he mention the new licence is only valid for the length of your visa/residency card/VEC?

Mine is old and is laminated . The new ones are 'credit card type'.
It cost 1.1 mil done at the DMV.
Is that fee for the big bike licence?

He said it had no expiry date, it was for a big bike and its the new credit card size license that is issued now.

My last license cost me only 300,000vnd as I renewed my old license

I have both my motorbike and car licenses here in VN. If you want that cheap laminated driver licenses it costs 30,000VND and if you want that new shit (credit card type) then it will cost you 135,000VND.

if you want the big bike licenses A2 in order to ride bikes over 175CC, go to TAN SON NHI in TAN PHU DISTRICT. its an easy process (my friend did it) it only costs about 4,500,000VND

anguyenpham wrote:

I have both my motorbike and car licenses here in VN. If you want that cheap laminated driver licenses it costs 30,000VND and if you want that new shit (credit card type) then it will cost you 135,000VND.

if you want the big bike licenses A2 in order to ride bikes over 175CC, go to TAN SON NHI in TAN PHU DISTRICT. its an easy process (my friend did it) it only costs about 4,500,000VND

Hello. Are you new here?
the laminated licence has not been available for some time now. It is an obsolete pattern licence. Any new licence is a card type licence. If you can legally provide a sources of these old, obsolete laminated licenses,please share the contact numbers with the Expat.com community.
Oh,if someone already has.a laminated licence,it's still a legal licence BUT not legit if dated after the change to the card type licence.

jimbream wrote:
anguyenpham wrote:

Hello. Are you new here?
the laminated licence has not been available for some time now. It is an obsolete pattern licence. Any new licence is a card type licence. If you can legally provide a sources of these old, obsolete laminated licenses,please share the contact numbers with the Expat.com community.
Oh,if someone already has.a laminated licence,it's still a legal licence BUT not legit if dated after the change to the card type licence.

Hey Jim,

You can still obtain the laminated licenses in district 12, im not too sure about the office on ly chinh thang. I received one about 2 weeks ago. I have a total of 4 valid licenses just incase i get pulled over and get my licenses confinsicated while driving a car :) Its always good to have an extra cheap laminated licenses here in VN.

Valid hey?
4 licences hey?
I've got a bridge for earlier you're interested.

jimbream wrote:

Valid hey?
4 licences hey?

Jimmy,

"I've got a bridge for earlier you're interested." i seriously don't understand what you're trying to tell me. please clarify.

I got my license made about December last year. Put up a post before about the details. The funny thing was that I first made an A1 license and the expiry date was until my visa expire. Then with the A1 license, I converted my driving license as well to the B2 license. They took my A1 license card and combined both A1 and B2 together and when I went to collect it, I don't know why but the expiry date changed to 2023! haha. Guess they made an error or something.

About the A2 license, I know it used to cost quite a lot to make one. That was before the government changed the laws. I read that they now allow Vietnamese to get the A2 license. Before, it was only for people related to the government or the military. When I asked around about it about a year ago, some people even quoted me $2000 USD. 10mil for an A2 license. I would pay to do that if it had no expiry date and there isn't any proper way for foreigners to get it.

$2000? The highest price as I know was $1000. But lucky that A2 is available now. It does not have any expire date for A2. But seems you will have a driving card with having your A2 and B2 certification on it.

Why the hell would you need to pay for a licence when a. Backhander x 10 is cheaper

Not always like this. Police becomes stricter. My friend's bike was kept for some times before he paid 1m to make A1. It is cheaper than being caught and paying 1m everytime. Besides, HCM police just hire a working force who can speak English enough to make your pocket empty.

By the way I want to talk about one situation I was captured in Xa Lo Ha Noi. I drove 70/60 km/hour but they told me 70/50 km/hour and asked for 1million.

anguyenpham wrote:
jimbream wrote:

Valid hey?
4 licences hey?

Jimmy,

"I've got a bridge for earlier you're interested." i seriously don't understand what you're trying to tell me. please clarify.

Brooklyn Bridge

The correct expression is :"If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you!".  A combination of poor writing skills and laziness on his part.  . 

The expression is A bit insulting, so you may be tempted b to reply with something like: "I don't want a bridge, but I'll buy the road leading to your house. While you're at work that road gets real busy!"   He probably wouldn't like that, so it's bear to simply ignore him.