Dependent not working

If my husband takes up employment in malta and I don't work but am dependant on him are we both entitled to the malta health care system or will I have to have private medical as I am not working but dependant on my husband. Thanks for any advice

Hi Rocky,

if your husband pays NI (Social Security) contributions  the family is covered too.

Cheers
Ricky

Is there a min amount of hours or national insurance contributions to be made needed in order for my husband and his dependant to be entitled to malta health. Ie if he works part time and not full time is this still ok or does he need to work fill time.

Hi Rocky,

is that the only reason you are coming to Malta for ?  Cheap health insurance ?

Generally speaking health coverage and social coverage is on a give and take basis ! You are startingf to sound like a just take basis !

Maybe I'm wrong .....

Rocky1965 wrote:

Is there a min amount of hours or national insurance contributions to be made needed in order for my husband and his dependant to be entitled to malta health

about € 800-1000 pa, and the same from his employer

Yes you are wrong......

We are just weighing up all our options, ie be self sufficient, work full or part time,  or be self employed. We have worked all our lives and have always paid taxes and insurances. We would like to have a change of scenery and a bit of sun try a new life in a new part of the world.

We are gathering all the facts together so we can see what options we have.

Thanks for all your advice once again you have been very helpful

Thanks for your advice.

Very helpful.

Hi! My boyfriend came to work to Malta and I came with him, but I haven't found a job jet, so I am not insured here as I am not his wife. I still pay my social security in my home country (EU), but I would like to stop paying there and start here. What is the procedure to get insured and what is the price? Thank you!

Hi linicaaa,

why are you still paying Social Security in Slovenia if you are resident in Malta?

Stop paying there and get yourself private health insurance in Malta. That is sufficient to apply for residency. Once you are in employment you pay National INsurance contributions in Malta from your salary.

You could also transfer your entitlement from Slovenia to Malta and keep on paying in Slovenia but that does not really make sense.

The costs depend mainly on age and gender and pre-existing diseases are not covered by private health insurance but is not really that much. Just go to a health insurance company and sign up !

Cheers
Ricky