Property in Hopkins

We are looking for a lot in Hopkins close to the ocean. It can be vacant or have an existing structure on it. We are going to be snow birds within the next 3 years or less. If anyone has any information we would love to hear from you. Thanks

Cutiepie23

I just thought I'd mention Sanctuary Belize - it's being developed as we speak. My husband and I are going down for a weekend in May to look things over. Frankly, I think it may be a little too rich for our blood, but we're gonna see what's going on. It is a gated community with all the bells and whistles...not sure if this is what you had in mind. They're easy to find online...just type in Sanctuary Belize and it'll show up.
Good luck, kate

(Moderated: Please post in the section housing in Belize)

We used to live in a gated community in Naples, Florida.  We have also explored Sanctuary Belize.  Typical of gated communities, there are too many useless and restrictive covenents which attract "condo commandos."  Fine if you want that sort of thing, but you give up a lot of your freedom!

Im not sure i understand your post as there are no condos (at least not yet) in sb.

Doesn't really matter.  SFH in a gated community generally have restrictive covenents as well.  In our case, we had no say in how the lawn service treated the $15k in landscaping around our SFH.  They made our mulched islands way bigger than the were originally so there would be less grass ti cut.  We all had to use the same kind of plants and they would use an all-purpose fertilizer rather than the right type for the particular plant.  Ended up looking like Levitown instead of individual homes.  Just one example of the freedoms you surrender!

Contact Reva at Stann Creek Reality

Contact all the local real estate guys, they will find you many options. Your job is to chose what is convenient for you. I may also suggest Mirko, he's not a real estate agent, he manages properties in Hopkins and Placencia, but he knows what's for sale before it's on the market. (Moderated: Please avoid leaving contact details on the forum)

[Moderated: pls post in the housing section]

Did you find your Lot in Hopkins?

Lea

You better check the history of Sanctuary Belize.  People have been re-selling their lots for over 2 years and no bites.  It looks pretty but good luck

The Reserve (Sanctuary Bay's new name) Home Owners' web site is worth looking at. 
independentownerssanctuarybelize.com

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

how much is an average electric bill?

How much electricity are you likely to use,?  How big a home? with AC or not? the costs work out at about 30 Bze cents per unit.   You will not need electricity to heat your home. My Belize bills are very low as we have BEL as the back up to our Solar.

Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you

Hi I know a few good friend of mine that have some very beautiful sea front Sandy beaches lots available now  in Hopkins

Where can I see more details?

do you want to buy or rent ?...The situation of housing in Hopkins changes very fast as there are many people wanting to move here " now".in 3 years it is going to be a totally different situation ,, best buy now, as improvements are made in the village, now paved roads new water system, more houses being built , lots being cleared of bush    the prices of house and lots go up $5000 u s d every 6 months .

exscape 2018 wrote:

do you want to buy or rent ?...The situation of housing in Hopkins changes very fast as there are many people wanting to move here " now".in 3 years it is going to be a totally different situation ,, best buy now, as improvements are made in the village,

What/who is the source of the funding for this rapid development?

I ask because what you describe is a very unusual anomaly for any village in Belize. Made even more unusual, as there does not seem to be a sense of common community or central area in Hopkins Village.

Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you

It does not matter where the village is located. I have driven through and spent time in Hopkins, i live about half the year in my home in Placencia just down the road, and have been to many other places in Belize.

Ok, let me ask again in another way. The money to pave roads, build a water system, put in drainage to handle the  change in water flow from the now paved roads, and many other infrastructure expansion it takes to grow a community has to originate from someplace.  it then has to be paid to contractors, workers etc  by someone or some entity.

I am no expert, but my understanding of after attending several Village counsel meetings in Placencia Village is that Belize has Cities, Towns, and Villages.

Taxes collected in each are treated differently. A village can keep very little of the taxes they collect...the funds for the most part are sent to the Belize government, and tourist type taxes are collected and sent to the Belize Tourist Board.

Cities and Towns are allowed to directly keep more of the taxes they collect, where the  Village level community is at the mercy of whoever is in power in Belmopan and how much they might return to the villages.

I am simply asking where is Hopkins getting the funds for the expansion?

Some possibility's come to mind...Do they have a sugar daddy, or have they floated a bond issue to raise the funds, is a new tax placed on businesses, do the home/land owners have some special account they must contribute to, etc etc?

The European union financed the total project  ...they them self's  paid the contractors not the Belize government , they made a comment they did not want the money to be misplaced ..i.e.  stolen.

exscape 2018 wrote:

The European union financed the total project  ...they them self's  paid the contractors not the Belize government , they made a comment they did not want the money to be misplaced ..i.e.  stolen.

Thanks, that answers my question. I knew it had to be something far different than normal operations in Belize.    :)    But it does bring up another question: when you say financed, is it a loan that should be payed back, or a grant?

Either way, I congratulate the people involved in getting it funded, as the results I saw were very nice.

I am made curious though. Why does the E.U. have concerns in this matter?

Is that $300,000 - $350,000 or
$30,000 _ $35,000

Will The Old wrote:

What/who is the source of the funding for this rapid development?

Advertising ploys set up by estate agents, the sort that come on to forums and pretend to be useful posters.
They commonly set up double acts with one poster asking questions for the other to answer.

Basically, don't trust agents as they tend not to have married mummies and daddies.

Check out this 2BR home in Hopkins Village @ 55 Sittee River on CPC Properties and see if the lot and house appeals to you. Our lot is one back from the oceanfront.  There are beautiful breezes, views and no danger of flooding as the  home and lot sits up high.  If you like what you see, I can answer any further questions you have about the property. It is my house.