Moving to The Nederlands

Hello, friends,
my moving is going very slow.
Many documents to take care of ,however the most important is the job. I am taking care of this now. Also I am avoiding last minute stress by packing early so I can concentrate on more important matters.
I went ahead last year (March) and spent 4 weeks with friends. This gave me an idea about housing , cost of living ,rental properties...
In any case ,it is a slow process but it is worth it.  Anyone contemplating a move to The Nederland must check their passport first . Call the embassy in your  country of origin and see if you need a visa. Some citizens of different countries will need a letter of invitation to enter The Netherlands. If you are from Brazil or USA you don't need a visa. Many other countries don't .Before you do anything and spend money check the status of your country. If you apply for a 90 days visit DON"T stay 90 days . Stay 89 days or you will be in trouble when you get to the airport they will ask a lot of questions before you can clear immigration.
My husband  is in the process of finding a job. Hard, but not impossible. Takes time, patience and like anywhere else, you need to know someone in the country. Navigating the system is complicate and slow. We have native friends that guide us and still is slow. Be prepared to pay for your own health
insurance (or your employer can pay for it).
Right now I am looking for someone to give me information on language schools for foregners. I need also information on the towns of Zoetermeer, Delf in Zuid Holland and info. on Alkmaar in Nord Holland. Anything helps. Thank you,
E.H.

Hi Elza,

I don't know exactly what you mean with language school.
Can you give us more information?

What kind of information you are looking for the cities Zoetermeer, Delft and Alkmaar?

There are several language schools in the Nederlands . Foreigners go there to learn Dutch. However since my friends are Dutch and don't need the services they are not sure where the schools are. are. One of my friends told me that  universities offer Dutch language classes . what universities?. Where? I just received a communication from my Dutch friend that indicates that I will need a Temporary Resident Card to enroll in any school.
I found out that Heiloo ,where I spend 4 weeks in very expensive .I was told that is because it is very close to Amsterdam. so, I am focusing in the Zuid Holland . where Zoetermeer and Delf is located . (Alkmaar is near by Heiloo, in the north Hllland). The info I am looking is a general overview of the city, if there are American schools for my children and where is the American University. I have researched and can't find anything ,however , my Dutch friends say there are Schools in English. Any thing that you deemed to useful ,please let me know..Thaks ,
E.H.

If you use the Dutch version of google(,nl) you can get all the information you need.
But it is all in Dutch, a translator machine is a must.

If this is to difficult for you, let me know and maybe I can do something for you.

Hartelijk bedank!!!!
This is a great help. I will try it in Dutch. I sometimes can manage reading Nederlands . I will follow your advise and get a translation machine .
Thanks, thanks, and more thanks..
E.H.
PS: I will keep you informed....

Hi Elza and Family,

I would look at The Hague, the only true international orientated city in Holland.  :-)

Information about the American/International schools for children, in The Hague:

http://www.ash.nlhttp://www.ishthehague.nl

I have no idea if they also offer this in Alkmaar, but it would really surprise me if they do..........

Yours faithfully,

Sander van Houdt

Hi Sander,
Thanks for the information :) .
It has been overwhelming, but I am making small progress everyday. My search for schools have been disappointed.
Most schools are very expensive ( the cost of a University in America) . I found in Bergen a very nice school (Europa School) ,however ,they  will need to learn German or French , besides Nederland
too much for them
I need to settle somewhere .Since  in all probability my husband will be working in Rotterdam, the best bet is really Den Haag . Do you know anything about housing there? I do not expect to  find American style housing( I live in the US). My goal is to immerse myself in the Dutch culture and language) . In fact I would prefer to have a  traditional Dutch housing (3+bedrooms of course) :) .I will explore Den Haag. Thanks so much for contacting me . Keep in  touch.
Best regards,
Elza Haley

Olá familia Haley,

Muito prazer :-)

Bergen? I had to look it up............... hahahaha

No really, The Hague is the international place to be!

The Hague also has an international university:

thehagueuniversity.com

OK, the tuition is high, I agree on that!

Here is a housing agency to do some orientation......
(You can switch the language)

duinzigt.nl

Indeed, Rotterdam offers a good working environment.

Tchau,

Sander van Houdt

Hoi, Sander
Hartelijk bedank voor jou helpen.
Sometimes if I am calm enouth and dependind on what I need to say I can do it in Nederland.
Many ,many thanks...
Bergen is near Alkmaar , may be a 30 minutes by bicycle or so. . Since we are not going there  it is a waste of time to entertain the idea. I visited the school when I was there last maart and I found the school to be the ideal. However at the cost of a university  it is out of question. It is good to know that There is an American University in The Hague.
It is becoming very clear that Zuid -Holland is the place to settle down. It seems to me that I can get more for my money there. May be if I settle in an area not so trendy I will be able to look to find good housing for a good price.
I will check the housing site you suggested.
Can you speak some Portuguese?

Tchau, tchau(or as we say in Rio de Janeiro... Tchauzinho...)
PS: Great help! Thank you
Elza Haley

Olá lá,

Sim, eu sei falar Português, a língua mais bonita no mundo.......  :top:

I live near the International School of The Hague and when I travel by tram, it is nice to see the children interact with each other in English, as like-minded people.

I suggest another, more general, housing website:   www.pararius.com

You can also look at Rijswijk and Voorburg, two nice suburbs of The Hague.

Até logo,

Sander van Houdt