Arabic Teacher / Arabic Skype Group???

Hello Expat community :-)
I've been living in Jeddah for nearly 17 months now and still my Arabic is terrible.  Is there a teacher out there that might be free during the afternoon to teach me on Skype?  My current schedule is quite busy but I do have openings between 2:30-5:00pm and I'm wondering if there is someone (anyone but preferably someone in Jeddah as I would like to have the accent of the city I'm living in) who has a strong internet connection and a teaching background who would be interested in taking me on as a student.  Anyone?  Please feel free to message me :-)

Secondly, I posted this here because I'm sure KSA is full of Expats that would like to improve their Arabic so I thought maybe we could create a Skype network of people who would like be able to practice their Arabic.  We'd need Arabic speakers who'd want to speak with non-native Arabic speakers and non-native Arabic speakers who want to talk to native Arabic speakers.  This is different from my teacher that I'm asking for above, but hopefully when I learn a little, I'd like to be able to skype some people in Arabic and try it out :-p

What does everyone think?  If it's something we'd all like then please leave your info like this:
"Paul
American
English speaker wanting to speak with Arabic speakers or others trying to learn Arabic"

Then people can come to this thread and message you personally for your Skype handle. 

It's just an idea.  Again, if there is an Arabic teacher that is willing to work with me online during the afternoon, I'm willing to try!

Hope everyone is having a good day.

It's actually a good idea and we are on the same situation. I've been here in Riyadh, KSA for more than a year, but I have limited knowledge on arabic language. Considering that all my office mates are all arabs. When they're having conversation I'm always left behind and do not know how to interact/butt-in...

Hopefully, there are someone out there who are willing to devote his time and offer to teach us of the language. Thank you for opening/raising this topic/idea/concern. :)

hey guys, I started out with youtube LearnArabic with Maja...

she teaches the proper arabic, not really the slang arabic that our colleagues use....

according to my arabic- linguist friend, these videos are good....

Let me take a look at that, Thanks man!

Thanks for the info, I need definitely to spice up my speaking skills.   :top:

We could work something out, I'm pretty advanced or fluent in English. I'll be totally down to help anyone who needs help in Arabic.

jericho_expat wrote:

hey guys, I started out with youtube LearnArabic with Maja...

she teaches the proper arabic, not really the slang arabic that our colleagues use....

according to my arabic- linguist friend, these videos are good....

I agree with you. Maha is really awesome Arabic teacher plus she teaches you sides of Arabic culture.

Saw a few clips from her but it seems I am more advance then I thought...

Hi there!

The most easiest way to know the basic arabic is when you have a conversation in a local. Practice makes you perfect, i've been here for 4 mos now and my formal arabic were good enough to chit chat with them. Hope it helps

Maa salama   ;)

Though i am not a teach or native arab but i was born here and can communicate well in arabic.
Being non-arab i understand the difficulties most expatriates face to learn arabic.
I am available for people who want to learn or want to improve their arabic.
I would like to improve English or learn other languages.

Hi everybody,

She is actually MAHA,

She speaks Arabic, Hebrew and Italian (since she got married to an Italian national).

I have spent a long time learning Arabic, I honestly feel Youtube is not the solution. It is like saying you overlook the shoulder of a Boeing pilot for a few weeks ( and even a few years), and ond fine day you could fly the plane.

There is a structured method to learn Arabic, and I am afraid there are no short cuts.