Childcare waiting list or alternatives

Hi,

Just wondering if someone could be so kind to share the experience of enrolling a toddler in childcare... or better said what have you done if the situation was like this: "dad has a job, mum has a job, what am I going to do by 17.00... home alone?" :))

Until now, all childcare centres replied that the average waiting list is 5 - 6 months or... 1 year.

Is it easy to find a nanny? Of course it depends on what nanny you are looking for and the required salary :D
As for the salaries, I read on the forum that a leave-in nanny was paid aprox 700 EUR (+social, food) in 2012. How is the situation now, for a leave-out nanny?

Thank you so much,
Ade

Hi ade7ade, I am in the same situation, moving to Malta in July this year and was just wondering if anyone could give advice on creches in Malta. We will be moving in the Sliema-Pembroke area, and since we have a 2 year old girl we need to find childcare starting from October...and also after school service for our 6 year old boy.
Hopefully someone will be able to give us a feedback!

Hi Romina,
Until now I received answers from: Stepping Stones, Yoyo, Happy Days and other 2. Actually this exact order is our priority list: Stepping Stones and Yoyo are on the same level in terms of materials and details they gave us, but Stepping Stones have more locations and seem to be available for more children.
As nandrenou replied me in the thread about moving with twins (some more details there might be useful for you), she subscribed to St Catherine's - a location in in Pembroke. It would be great to find

It would be great to find childcare and after school in the same area :)

I hope someone will reply us with more details :)

in the end, I just want to understand if the managers just have a strategy for marketing their lack of availability... or the situation is indeed like in Germany or Netherlands (where you have to book since pregnancy).

Hi there,

Don't know if you already know this forum, but it has a lot of good information for mums and parents in general. Have a look HERE for some info with regards to free childcare from April in Malta.

Good luck to both!  :)
Antonio

Hi Romina,

In case you've arrived or packing, my advice is to start visiting child care centres.. now :) for registering your girl in October.  Especially if you really have 1 preference, it's better to be on the safe side.

As understood, unfortunately in June was the registering period for October classes...

At least, this is my feedback until now :)

Good luck,
Ade