RENTAL CONTRACT

Hi. This blog has so much great info so I was hoping if someone has some tips for me regarding renting an apartment. I already found a great place and just wanna hear some tips from your 1st hand experiences .
My situation may be slightly different as I will only be staying for one+ year.
My place will be on the river just off Ordonez Lazo across from Puerto Del Sol. It has 3 bedrooms/ 5 bathrooms but one bathroom smells just aweful like sewer. The agent said she would talk to the owner....

She called me to set up a time next week to sign a contract and to 1st email her my passport #.

We had agreed on a 1mth deposit. And a move in date of April 3rd.

Should I have a lawyer write up a seperate contract for me?

Have a great week!

mackbutter wrote:

Should I have a lawyer write up a seperate contract for me?

I believe that having a lawyer review the proposed contract is money very well spent. He doesn't really need to do a separate contract for you, but a careful review of the proposed contract may save issues later. Once the contract has been signed, the drive of the owner to fix issues diminishes.

but one bathroom smells just aweful like sewer...That can be a problem here as they do not use vent pipes and the gas escapes through drains into the bathroom.  We have to leave a window open or it can get a bit ripe.  I it is an enclosed bathroom (no windows) I guess you could ask the owner to put in a vent fan.  Good luck with that.

Mike

Sometimes the vent does not have water in it,, so it smells.. try putting water in the vent on the floor or in the shower.  Them you can cover it with a flat plastic lid to help keep the evaporation from giving you the smell again.  We actually put water in ours about 3 times and then a little cooking oil to help keep it full.  We had 6 bathrooms, and unless we used them regularly we had a smell too.  Try wetting them by pouring water,, and covering with a flat piece of plastic,, like a margarine tub top.  Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanx Denise.  I'm sure tha will do  the trick!
The agent had said that this washroom was hardly ever used and so I understood that as the previous tenant never used it because it stunk. :dumbom:
Now I see the reason for the smell was BECAUSE it was never used.

I feel better about taking the place now.   :D