Norwegian Vikings coming to Porto!

Hello!

We are a norwegian/British family of 4 moving across to Porto in September. Our oldest daughter is starting the very good international school Clip (clip.pt/www_en.html) in September next year.
We have been researching and would like to know everything we can about Portos social scene and what there is to do with kids during the day/week?
We are also looking for friends of all agees...we speak swedish,norwegian,english,little portuguees and a little german.

Any advice or general chitchat would be great!

Take care,
The Norwegian viking family :)

Hi Norweigen viking family....:lol:

See you soon then eh

Julie

Thanks for the nice welcome! :)

Sarah

Hello,

welcome to Portugal..
May i ask you what brings you to Portugal? In what kind of area did you find jobs?
I came to Portugal for my Portuguese boyfriend..IŽm 29. WeŽre living together.. but iŽm having problems with finding a job, yeah and iŽm a bit picky.. IŽm too shy for being a guide in the Port-wine caves and i donŽt have my driving licence and iŽm having a hard time talking the language..
Hope to hear about your experiences and also from other people..
Greets, Bianca.

Hello Bianca,

We are very lucky in the fact that my husband works as a consultant so we can live anywhere in the world. Job hunting in Portugal I don't know much about but I have family and friends who could maybe point you in the right direction!? If your interested?

Where are you from? I'm 26, born in England ..grew up everywhere! ;)

I do have a driving licence so when I get my bumb across (should be september) we could explore Porto together. :)

Send me an email maybe we can arrange a get together.
Take care
Sarah

P.s I have to kiddies (youngest 7months) so I'm a stay at home wife/mother!!

Hi Sarahmoren, and welcome to Porto (I know I'm early). I moved to Portugal 3 years ago, and enjoying it very much, but man do I miss Toronto, and my wife and daughter really really miss a true Canadian Christmas.

Our 8 year daughter was at CLIP from Kindergarten to grade 1 and the school is absolutely great, by far one of the best in Porto. We put her in a private Portuguese school last year to improve her Portuguese. We will in a likelihood place her back at CLIP in September of 2011.

Even though we are Canadian we joined the American Club of Porto, and we have made some really good friends with many of the members (many are not American).

Good Luck

Paul Rocha

Welcome to Expat.com on all new members in this discussion :)

The climate in Porto should be no problem for you!

It has a cool climate in summer, not tropical like Algarve!!

By cool I mean around 20-25 I think....must be the breeze from the Atlantic Ocean...

geek wrote:

Hi Sarahmoren, and welcome to Porto (I know I'm early). I moved to Portugal 3 years ago, and enjoying it very much, but man do I miss Toronto, and my wife and daughter really really miss a true Canadian Christmas.

Our 8 year daughter was at CLIP from Kindergarten to grade 1 and the school is absolutely great, by far one of the best in Porto. We put her in a private Portuguese school last year to improve her Portuguese. We will in a likelihood place her back at CLIP in September of 2011.

Even though we are Canadian we joined the American Club of Porto, and we have made some really good friends with many of the members (many are not American).

Good Luck

Paul Rocha

Thanks Paul!
Yeah we're looking forward to all that Porto has to offer. Are there many places to take kiddies to or do with kids during the day, my daughter starts Clip 2011 so I need to keep us busy. :) I bet you guys are missing Toronto, we have in our family incorporated a British christmas and a Norwegian one...the norwegian one is on the 24th and a Full blown British Christmas with ALLL the trimmings on the 25th. :) As I've understood it British Christmas is very similar to American/canadian...I mean what do you do that makes it so special? :)

I am looking to join as many clubs as poss in Porto as its a great way to make friends and find out whats going on in the city.It would probably be to cheeky for a British/Norwegian to join an American Club...but it dosnt mean we can't get to know you and your family. :) How many children do you have, just the one daughter? How old will she be when she starts Clip next year?
What does you/your wife do for a living? How did you find the language? oopps...maybe its just to many questions at once....lol

Take care, thanx for writting to me.
Sarah x

Thats good, it means my milk pale skin won't fry within 2 seconds of getting of the plane. lol A nice breeze makes such the diffrence in a warm climate.

I used to be tanned as a child, be nice to get that "healthy" glow back. :)

Hi Sarah! I just moved to Porto a week ago and am looking for more English speaking friends! :) I'm a chiropractor and I took over an existing practice... still trying to learn the language so I can better communicate with my patients! :) I'm loving it here so far though! If you ever wanna get together, let me know! :)

Hi everyone, Ive been living in Porto for some years now and I would love to get in touch with other foreigners living here. Thanks

Hi, are you still living in Porto?

Dear Norwegian Viking Mum,
I believe we were in touch a couple of years ago.   I am not sure if you are still in Portugal, but I came across your profile on the expat.com website, and I still troll around there from time to time.

I am an HR manager from the Berlitz Virtual Classroom Europe.

We have an openings for online corporate Norwegian instructors. The job is freelance and part-time.  It's desirably, but not necessary to have prior experience in language teaching.  We hire many artists, bloggers, photographers and other freelancers.  We provide both training and lesson plans.

If interested, please connect with me. I will be happy to put one of our recruiters in touch with you.  If you are not interested, but know of other Norwegian speakers who might be, please feel free to pass on our email address.  CVs (in English)  may be sent to bvcinstructors[at]berlitzeu.com

Best regards,
Avriel
Manager of International Recruiting and Training
Berlitz Virtual Classroom
Berlitz Europe
Email: avriel.schwartz[at]berlitzeu.com
www.berlitz-virtual-classroom.eu