Help me

Hi everyone,

My name is David. I'm from the US, I'm an English teacher, and I moved to Casablanca in February. I live in Maarif, and I have to confess... I'm rather bored. I've had a hard time meeting people, partially because my work schedule is crazy and I frequently have to travel outside of Casablanca for work. Anyway, there are a couple specific things I'm looking for, and I'm hoping somebody on here could help me out:

1) A gym. If anybody knows of a good gym in Maarif, please contact me. I'm specifically looking for a place with a good weight room - squat rack not optional. The other thing is, it needs to be open on Saturdays and Sundays, or else it wouldn't be worthwhile for me. The cheaper the better, so long as it meets the above requirements.

2) Language exchange. I'm looking for someone to teach me Darija and/or French. I'm a native speaker of English (and an experienced teacher), and I also have intermediate abilities with Chinese and Korean, as well as beginner's Spanish. And I took Latin in high school!   :cool:

So if anyone could help me out with either of these, or if you're just another expat and you'd like to hang out, please send me a message.

Hi david,

I created a new thread with your post on the Casablanca forum for more visibility.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi
You can download a darija manual from this link google.co.ma/search?client=opera&q=peace+corps+darija+pdf&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF
I don't know were you can find a gym, but you can  visit livemocha.com for French lessons .

Hi David.

I'm an expat living in El Jadida. I guess I'm much older than you, so not having millions of things to do might not bother me as much.

I think that someone teaching you Darija in any meaningful fashion would probably want to be reimbursed for their time. Remember that we are living in a relatively poor country where even professional people might only earn 4000 or 5000 dirhams a month - and have large families to feed as well as rent to pay. Try learning Darija the way I have - simply going out into working class cafes where knowledge of French/English is likely to be rudimentary. That's not to say I'm fluent, not at all, but I can now get by. As you are younger, you'd pick up by immersion far more quickly.

I can't help you with a gym. However, you could try looking at the sites blanee.com and madeinmedina.com. These have extensive listings for Casablanca.

This might sound awful, but do you have a TV? Get it tuned into Astra2D for English programmes and channels (unfortunately BBC and other terrestrial offerings are no longer available in Morocco). OR watch English language programmes on the MBC channels, Dubai One and the like which are found on the Nilesat and Badr satellites. Get a DVD player for 250 dirhams and buy some films in the souk. Hang out in place Nations Unies at Ramses or Cafe de France and chat to foreigners. Simply explore. Try some of the towns around, up to Rabat and Kenitra, down to Azemmour and El Jadida, all accessible by train.

There are also expat meetings arranged by people on this forum sometimes, but they are mainly francophone affairs.

I don't know if I've helped, but I'm here to bounce ideas off if you'd need to.

Regards

Hi laduqesa,

Thanks for your suggestions. I do have a TV, yes. Not giving in to that yet haha. But for those websites and locations, thank you.

Thanks, Priscilla!

Hi Melek A,

Got the book, thanks.

Hi David,
i can teach you some Darija and French if you dont mind. i am willing to practice my English in return.
greetin

Hi SOShelop,

Thanks. I'll send you my number.

Hi David,

Good day :) regarding for ur inquiry about gym there's famous one it's name Gymnasia & u can check the website gymnasia.ma .

regards,

Hi David,
i have no objection to meet you on Sunday morning as you have suggested. where would you like us to meet? is ain diab beach (Tram line stop) good for you (at 9 or 10 am)? we can head to some café nearby.

Hi David I'm Fatima, live in Meknes with my little family...
Can I have your number or skype?

Nii how  ma ?   :)
can we exchange Mandarin with Darija And French ?

Hey Dave,

Of all the creepy replies I see on this site, let me try to top them. You wanna work out?

I'm an American living in Maarif, today is a legs day, and I can teach you Darija. Send me a message if you're not too creeped out!

Mason

Hi sunsetmoon,

Nice of you to offer, but I'm looking for language exchange in Casa...

Hey Mason, check your inbox.

Thanks Ahmed, I've checked them out.

[moderated: avoid copy paste]

Hi David,

An english/french language exchange would be ok for me.
I sometimes host some people from abroad spending a few time in Casablanca and I used to live in places I could hear a several languages a day so I understand what you miss right now.

MP me if you're interested.

See you.

Hi David,

If you're still in casablanca, my expat friends and I are organizing a summer camp planned on July.
We are looking for native english speakers. If you are interested to join us or just hang out, let me know.

Amine