Clubs / meeting places

Hello lovely people,

I have been offered a job in Tripoli and I need to decide whether to accept it or not. I am tending very much towards accepting, mainly because of the impact this will have on my career. But this is not the aim of my post :)

I am posting here to ask you, fellow expats, whether you have any clubs / meeting places where you get together, and, if not, why... I think that it would be great for expats to meet regularly, share their issues, share activities and of course have fun.

I don't want to stir any stuff before I even get there, but (assuming there is no such club), wouldn't it be about time it gets organised? Now, I don't know my way around Tripoli so I would not have the first idea of where to organise such gatherings (again, I'm assuming there is nothing wrong in organising these dos) what I do know is how to bring people together :) So please send me a PM or reply to this thread (or direct me to the right thread if I'm in the wrong place), whatever, lets get this going!

M

Hi Il Malti,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that i created a new thread with your post on the Tripoli forum in order to give much more  light to your request, now it may be easier for the other members to contact you and keep you up to date about meet-ups. ;)

Have a nice day,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi,
Unfortunately there isn't a big social thing here in Tripoli for ex-pats. There are some rather insular and closed circles, but I've been here since January and not found my way into any of them. Most people come here to work and that's about it.
It would be great to start something up. I think security would be the main issue. I guess meeting in one of the bigger hotels would be ok, but there are a lot of ex-pats who would be nervous about meeting in groups with other expats. Personally I don't feel the risk would be high - especially here in Tripoli, but I know lots of other ex-pats who wouldn't agree.
Pete