Driving over in uk registered car and selling it here.

Hi, I didn't want to jump on someone else's post so thought it better to start my own.

My brother has been staying with me for the last month and has just managed to get a job and flat in Malta.
He flew back to uk yesterday to sort his stuff out and is coming back with luggage and dog ready to start his job on the 1st April.
The problem is that everything is last minute.

He has a car in the uk which he has only owned for 4 months, but driving over would be easier because of his dog and luggage.
He has applied for his E-res card.
I believe I am right in that he can't drive his car once here, but what would be the likelyhood that he could sell it here without paying the import tax or would he have to go through importing it and then sell it after. I believe the car is an Audi something.

Any other suggestions welcome to sort out his pickle.

It would be easier to bring it over , register it and pay the tax, then sell it or keep it.

No hassle and he would get his money back from the import duty and a little bit extra if / when he sells it.

The maths all depends on what the vehicle is, type / mileage / age etc.

He can drive it in Malta if he starts the registration process as soon  as he arrives in Malta.

Terry

he can sell the car without paying the import tax, but obviously for a lower price than if import tax paid. A buyer would either be a tourist who could drive it in Malta (but might need a UK address to register the car to ?), or a resident who would have to pay the import tax.

"I believe I am right in that he can't drive his car once here," correct