Decision to close shops by 9 p.m.

http://www.arabnews.com/news/540006

if shops close at 9pm, what would you now do during your mall trip schedules or family days at the malls?

I just don't get how they think any store would be able to make any money if they close at 9pm. Some are open from 10-noon, but many don't open till 4 or 5 and with 2 sets of prayers in there they would really only have a 3-4 hour business day.

exactly..... productivity is quite low already.... a lot of us actually start shopping at 9pm to avoid interruptions.... now, what are we supposed to do with this schedule, if they approve.....which i think they won't.... but its such a crazy idea, i need to post it...ayt?

Lol perhaps they will open at 8 am lol :) It's time for them to change their lifestyle. Sleep early, wakeup early, and be normal. :)

perhaps it is an attempt to reconstruct the saudi mentality that has grown on many expats to create a productive society.
I heard many quotes in the paper to the tone of Islam says, "Night is for sleep, day is for living" I am personally for the 9pm time.  If ONLY for the reason i now know when everything closes. 
Now, however, here is the issue
At the current 10AM open, 12PM close, 4PM open, then 9PM close, with 2+ hours of prayer closings creates a difficult situation.  With this, I hope, will include legislation on the amount of time stores can be closed before or after prayer to increase shopping time and reduce downtime.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

Now, however, here is the issue
At the current 10AM open, 12PM close, 4PM open, then 9PM close, with 2+ hours of prayer closings creates a difficult situation.  With this, I hope, will include legislation on the amount of time stores can be closed before or after prayer to increase shopping time and reduce downtime.

im pretty sure, most of us have the same take on this......  :/  please include a once- a week off for many expats working in private sectors...

oh i could care less about that
in the real world (western countries for example) people work 7 days a week often. here is no different. The way to fix that, make yourself better, and get a better job.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

in the real world (western countries for example) people work 7 days a week often. here is no different. The way to fix that, make yourself better, and get a better job.

Please tell me this was said in a sarcastic tone and your not actually that rude!

adamb123 wrote:
Freshlikesushi wrote:

Please tell me this was said in a sarcastic tone and your not actually that rude!

i guess let us save these for another thread......  the quality of life and work balance is a great topic in itself already, so as making ourselves better and getting another job...

for now, if they approve this proposal, i work 8-5, and they close shops twice before finally closing at 9pm, which gives me roughly 2 hours of scattered shopping time..... including a short enjoyable meal at a restau, and do other errands.

restaurants and supermarkets will be exempt from this rule, for what i can gather.

i guess you're right......   :D

In all honesty, I think the 9PM closing time is fair as long as they open in the morning and remain open until 9PM without closing for prayers, aligning themselves with the rest of the GCC countries.

without closing for prayers

Agreed with you, but that's not about to happen for several decades (more like, centuries).

adamb123 wrote:
Freshlikesushi wrote:

No. this is VERY real. extremely real.

how about the people that works at those times how cany they even have anough time to go to the malls on that short period of time?? what if you want to go to malls after work maybe a family time.. what about people who work at afternoon to evening? so that would mean they should wake up in the morning?... hmm thats not actually bad they can breakfast.. but how about works in the afternoon untill past 9?? i feel 50 50 about this..