Foreign plates

Sorry for ask this one more time, but I'm really lost. I've been living in Malta from last year, I brought my car from Spain just 6 months and 10 days ago,. I'm working here as well, and I have the propper insurance for be here. So, now let's go with my question, In 2 months I'll leave Malta and I already talked with a maritime company to send the car by ship back to Spain, Will I have any problem because it will be here for more than 6 moths? Otherwise what could I do? I think is not worthed to change the plates just for a couple of months. Isn't it?

Many thanks

Hi Luigi,

if you are resident in Malta (and as you are working here you should be) you are not allowed to drive a foreign plated car !

Your car itself can remain in Malta for up to six months. So it has already overstayed 10 days.

The consequences? Could well be a tax/customs issue  but maybe you are lucky.

Sadly we never get feedback from those in a similar position as you so we can't say much about the actual risk.

Cheers
Ricky

Would it help going to Sicily and come back? Because I'm really affraid for that fine you are talking about of 30€ per day

Thanks for your really fast answer

As far as I know it is 6 months out of every year! So you can't just go and come back and if you are resident in Malta you are not allowed to drive the car anyway so why risk bringing it back if you got it out of Malta?

Then the option would be to leave it in Italy and drive it back to Spain.

Did you register yourself resident? Certainly don't drive the car in Malta anymore!

There is no way I know of how you can legalize your position without paying. You can just rely on your luck!

Ricky

ps its 6 months out of 12 months, not 6 months per calendar year

Yeah, I'm registered as a resident, so what I'm going to do it's first of all I'll try to speak with someone from TM and depends what they tell me, I will, but I think most probably I will send my car already. Thanks anyway and good day (I'll let u know any news)

Hi Luigi,

under European law your car is has to be registered in the country of your residence and insured by an insurance company in your country of residence.

You might have more problems back in Spain than here in Malta.

Please let us know if there is a quick fix for people in your situation.

Cheers
Ricky