Guest House / Buying land

Hi,

We are foreigners, we would like to open a guest house.
We have a lot of questions
We prefer to buy the property instead of renting it.

- Can we buy land?
- Foreigners can buy only through IRS & ERS programs, right?
- We don't want to buy an house but to start a guest house activity, How can we start our business if we can't buy land and want to rent the plot? How does it work?
- Is there a website we can find business for sale?

Thanks,

Patrick

Sure it is possible, perhaps we can help you?

Patrickthierry wrote:

Hi,

We are foreigners, we would like to open a guest house.
We have a lot of questions
We prefer to buy the property instead of renting it.

- Can we buy land?
NO
- Foreigners can buy only through IRS & ERS programs, right?
Partly correct , you can also :
BUY AN APARTMENT IN A GROUND + 2 COMPLEX
The following non-citizens are eligible to submit an application to acquire
an apartment for his personal residence:-
(a) the holder of a permanent residence permit under the Immigration Act
(b) an investor who has made an initial investment exceeding USD 100,000 or its equivalent in any freely convertible foreign currency, is registered with the Board of
Investment and holds an Occupation Permit
(c) a professional who earns a monthly salary exceeding USD 3,000 or its
equivalent in any other hard convertible foreign currency, is registered with the Board of Investment and holds an Occupation Permit
The apartment has to be a residential dwelling that forms part of a block of
residential dwellings located in a building of at least 2 floors above ground
floor

.- We don't want to buy an house but to start a guest house activity, How can we start our business if we can't buy land and want to rent the plot? How does it work?
PURCHASE OF A GUESTHOUSE
Investment in an existing guesthouse/tourist residence by a non‐citizen may be authorized on a case‐to‐case basis only if the existing establishment is upgraded and the new project proposal meets the policy objectives of the Ministry of Tourism & Leisure and complies with very specific requisites:
the existing guesthouse/tourist residence must consist of at least 12 rooms ;
the new project proposal must be of a high architectural design depicting the local and tropical cachet ;
the minimum level of investment must be Rs 500,000 per room ;
the potential investor must have the required expertise and experience in the management and marketing of a tourist residence/guest house or appoint a management company that has the required experience and expertise in the tourism and hospitality industry ;
the project proposal must upgrade the existing tourist residence/guest‐house by major refurbishment/renovation with special emphasis laid on quality ;
Provision must also be made for the adoption of energy‐saving devices and eco‐ friendly practices such as recycling plants, rain water harvesting, renewable energy supply (solar energy and photovoltaic cells) and other similar facilities.

- Is there a website we can find business for sale?

Thanks,

Patrick

Info:
http://www.investmauritius.com/media/33 … thouse.pdf

OR

you can be edified as much as you can by browsing the different  topics at :
http://www.investmauritius.com/search.a … st%20house

(Moderated: No free advert on the forum)

Hi Sandy,

Why not it's an option we did not consider yet.
Please contact me vis private message.

Thanks

[email protected]

Thank you so much External

Good morning Mr Patrick,

I have personnally contacted the Board of Investment  to try get some help for you. You need to get the right information before involving yourself in a big venture.

The mail address to ctc at he BOI is as follows;

[email protected]

They will answer all your questions about buying land and so on.. If you need any other help kindly ctc me by mail
[email protected]

rgds
Mrs Mahamoodally

Dear Faz,

Thanks a lot.
I visited BOI website (External recommandation)  it's very helpful, I found a lot of info.

If anyone looks for official information, please go first to:
http://www.investmauritius.com/download … lines.aspx

You will find everything (almost) and you will save a lot of time.

Patrick

Dear Sir, First of all you don't have the right to buy any immovable property in Mauritius. If you want to buy there are 2 ways,more informations you may contact through my e-mail: [Moderated: For safety reason, avoid posting personal contact informaitons on the forum.]

Regars
S.Etwa

Dear Soubiraj,

Thanks for your answer.
Email sent.

Regards,

Patrick