Correa Profile in WaPo

The Washington Post had an interesting and, it appears to me, reasonably even-handed profile of Rafael Correa yesterday.

Nice article…….at least he is an actual citizen of Ecuador unlike the USSA's present shame

Hehe, thanks Bob, you, Sawman, and Woodward have added a little excitement for the day. Things have been a bit boring and mundane around here lately.

Anyway, if read the article correctly, basically Ecuador has a President who owns the media, and the courts, but yet is going to step down when his time is up. For some strange reason I'm not really buying into that.

You're welcome, j600orr. I'm always ready to help.  :)

I've seen recent articles indicating that Correa is backtracking on his previous pledges to leave after this term -- so I'm not buying that part of the story either.

AMDG wrote:

Nice article…….at least he is an actual citizen of Ecuador unlike the USSA's present shame

Really?

quito0819 wrote:
AMDG wrote:

Really?

birther.

Nards Barley wrote:
quito0819 wrote:
AMDG wrote:

Really?

birther.

You think?

AMDG wrote:

Both Correa and Obama claim they will step down after their current terms.  Do you think they both will?  If not, which one won't step down?

Listen carefully to his Saturday mornings meetings, the changes Mr.Correa is and has made in the country are remarkable.

Pres Correra, initially said he will not run foe reflection, however after this Feb. 23 elections he officially stated that he will run for re election. I would vote for him, I've been visiting Ecuador for the last 34 years, this man is the only one who has made great strives and changes here

Correa doesn't "own" the media and courts.  He is popular enough that judges favorable to him have achieved office and he has beat back the bully pulpit of the opposition press, by challenging the flaccid veracity of their "version of facts".  I hope Correa reconsiders and doesn't step down.  Term limits are the dumbest concept from a bevy of good candidates, in the political arena. We already have term limits in every Republic on the planet.  It is called "the vote". Don't want that sucker anymore, vote him out...term limited.  The extent of the Nanny State knows no bounds. Apparently some believe the average citizen so ignorant that we must assist him by limiting terms of political succession, as though we can't recognize that same power in our vote. Correa has done a great job for Ecuador and while I respect his political savvy in not wanting a third term, I truly hope he reconsiders and leaves that choice to the people of Ecuador.

So why just visiting??