Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki and Brake Types?

Hello

1) Between these, what would you recommend? 

Yamaha
Taurus (drum brake) 15,990,000 / (disc brake) 16,990,000
Sirius (drum brake) 18,100,000 VND / (disc brake) 19,100,000 VND
Sirius RC 21,100,000 VND
Sirius RC FI 22.990.000VND

Honda
Wave 110 RS - Version brake disk / spoke wheels (rims spokes)    18.990.000
Wave 110S - Special Edition 2013 - Disc brakes (rim spokes)    18.990.000
Wave 110S - Special Edition 2013 - brake (rim spokes)    17.990.000
Super Dream 2013    18.700.000
Wave 110 S - Edition disc brakes / rims spokes    18.790.000
Wave 110 S - Version brake body / rims spokes    17.790.000
Wave alpha    16.990.000

Suzuki
Revo has 3 brake types
Revo 110 15,790,000
Revo 110 16,790,000
Revo 110 17,790,000
Viva 115 21,690,000
Viva 115 22,990,000

Skydrive 125 24,500,000 (only automatic on this list I think)

2) What do the different brake types mean? 

3) Are repairs more/less expensive for Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki?

4) Are there any places in HCMC with dealerships for all 3 brands close to one another?

1. I would suggest you to buy Honda Wave 110 RS - Version brake disk / spoke wheels (rims spokes) 
2. Disc brakes are better than drum brakes for a safe and sudden braking.
Check here for more reference.
3. Honda make bikes are less maintenance (cheap parts) than the others. Also Honda get a better resale value if you want to sell.
4. Go to An Duong Vuong street, P.9, Q.5 for your need and comparison. So many shops are there with mixed make of motorbikes.

Thanks for the info.

I checked out one of the shops on that street and then went to another shop somewhere else.  I ended up getting a Suzuki Hayete, a little more expensive than the others I had on my list but it was one of the cheaper automatics they had.

charmavietnam wrote:

1. I would suggest you to buy Honda Wave 110 RS - Version brake disk / spoke wheels (rims spokes) 
2. Disc brakes are better than drum brakes for a safe and sudden braking.
Check here for more reference.
3. Honda make bikes are less maintenance (cheap parts) than the others. Also Honda get a better resale value if you want to sell.
4. Go to An Duong Vuong street, P.9, Q.5 for your need and comparison. So many shops are there with mixed make of motorbikes.

Agreed !  Honda is more popular and retains it's resale value better. (if you don't manage to 'bend' it)

A front disc is much better ! Easy, cheap to work on, and a LOT more effective than a drum brake.  :idontagree:

Another NOT so subtle point that most new bike riders miss/don't know about, is that when it's raining, or your front disc gets wet some other way.   :/   - If possible, start off riding in a straight line for a short distance, slowly applying and holding your front brake on - gently.
This dries out the disc by the heat produced from friction of the pad(s) against the disc.
Just enough for you to feel it'd drag effect on your speed.  You'll feel the difference in braking effect the moment the disc is dry. After that the front disc will stop you reliably as it normally does. :top:

A wet front disc may very well not work effectively - until the disc suddenly dries out and the brake 'grabs', possible locking up the front wheel completely, depending on how hard you're grabbing at the brake lever. :o

This ALWAYS seems to happen at the worth possible time, usually when you need your brakes the most.  :(

If you're out riding and you get caught in the rain, ALWAYS just touch your front brake very lightly (not enough to slow you down) every couple of minutes while you keep on riding, just to keep your front disc dry.   :top:

Flip456 ( L-O-N-G time bike rider  :D  )

Wow looks like somebody has really done their homework (but you bought before anybody could reply to your thread with advice  :dumbom: lol but it's cool, I'm actually interested in knowing how much was that Suzuki Hayate and did you have any problems with the registration?). I too am looking for a new motorbike in the $1,000 range.

I was wondering what is everyone's opinion about these bikes (I guess I'd go with the Wave for resale value and easy fixes) vs some of the cheaper automatic bikes (Atilla is the only kind of motorbike I've ever driven so if I don't get an automatic I'll have to learn how to drive the semi-manual)? What about Kymco?

I know this may be a dumb question but...how do those of you who drive manual bikes keep your feet dry during downpours? It seems to me it would be pretty uncomfortable to go somewhere and have to sit there for several hours (as I might) with wet jeans and soaking wet shoes and feet (my biggest reservation about getting a semi-manual).

One thing I have noticed is that the Waves seem more comfortable for the person riding on the back (because the feet rests for the person on the back are very high on many scooters). One other concern is that I weigh about 180 lbs and the gf 100 so I need to make sure I won't break the poor thing with my fat ass (I'm thinking this would only be a concern with the 50ccs right? Would a Kymco be too small for example?).

Thanks!

More than 4 decades of riding bikes of all sizes, in all different types of conditions, in quite a few countries helps a lot.  :idontagree:

First road bike, a 1958 ex police BSA 650 with drum brakes. MIGHT just stop in about 60 -70m from 60kph - IF the shitty  tyres of those days could get a grip in the road. Wet roads ? Forget it ! 60kph meant both feet on the road, front brake on as hard as you could without locking up the front wheel. FAR too easy - followed by falling over !  :huh:
More than 20 other bikes from then until this lot over the past 6 years.

Last bikes -

Honda VF1000R - V4. Older 1988 - discs front and back. Took off like a rocket - back wheel spinning easily. Quite fast (240 plus kph) but surprisingly quiet. A bit too heavy. STRICTLY a hard sealed roads only machine. :proud
Honda CBR600RR. (VERY highly turned up track racing bike with lights & sort of muffler) Almost impossible NOT to pull a wheelie starting off. Slip out the clutch at 3500-4000rpm start or the engine usually stalls. Power band really kicks in HARD at 8000rpm and pulls solidly all the way to 13500rpm. Always lifted its front wheel off the ground going around a corner if the throttle was opened up a faction too soon. Mono-wheeling into and out of corners for 50 or so meters can be 'interesting'!) :blink:
Honda ST1100P - ex police highway pursuit bike, discs front and back. Cruises happily all day at 160 - 200kph. Governed top speed of 267kph. Shaft drive, SUPER comfortable, 500 klms per tankful (27L.)  :thanks:
Sai Gon bike - 'Mini-H-D from 'MOTORROCK' Sai Gon - too wide and clumsy for riding in the city.(discs front and back) Bit noisy and fun to ride anyway. The Cong An from D7, through D4 and most of D1. recognize the bike and never bother to pull me over.  They know I won't pay their coffee/beer fines.  :dumbom:

Most dangerous place in the world to ride any motorbike ? (IMHO) - ISRAEL !!! 
On a bike, you're out in the open. No car, truck, APC, MBT metalwork hiding you. The Arabs shoot at you, anytime, anywhere !!! AK's - RPG's  - - - - FACT !!!  :(
Counted 6 bullet holes (AK47??) right through both of my BMW K100's panniers and one of the rear wheel alloy spoke blown clean off, after riding just 20 klms outside of Tel Aviv one time.
THAT was supposed to be a 'peaceful' time that week !   :mad:    Probably a good thing I totally ignored all the speed limits signs (as usual) !!!  ;)
Sai Gon is a lovely SAFE place to ride !  :top:

Flip465.  :)