Hydrofoil ferries Ho Chi Minh city to Vung Tau

I read that the hydrofoil services had been suspended in Jan 2014 due to a fire on one of the boats.
I will be coming to Vietnam from Scotland at the end of the month and, after a short stay in Phu Quoc, was hoping to go to Vung Tau by ferry after a day in Ho Chi Minh city.

Have the services been restored yet or will I have to go by bus?

I would be grateful for any information.

Thanks

not really, but I will ask a friend...

My gf told me yesterday that the service was up and running again. They have had a major overhaul and safety check on all the ferries. They are all very old now and the company's need to invest in new craft. There's a new express way from HCMC to Vung Tau now, It's not very long but it cuts an amazing hour or more off the journey from the airport by road.

Thanks for the info.
I have been on these boats many times and appreciate just how old they are but never had any trouble.
However now that I am getting on in years I find that getting off at Vung Tau can be a bit of an adventure :)

Getting on was interesting as well.

The first time I went to VT was 1992 by car from HCM city. The road was horrendous. Below the Jesus statue it was just a dirt track! How thing have changed.

Hi drybones,

Your post was moved on the Ho Chi Minh City forum for better visibility.

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa

I can now confirm that the hydrofoils are NOT running from HCM to Vung Tau. We had to go by bus yesterday. It took about 2 hours.
We used the Phương Trang service which leaves every 20 mins from 205 Pham Ngũ Lao. They took us to our hotel which saved us having to transfer to a taxi.

The Long Man wrote:

My gf told me yesterday that the service was up and running again. They have had a major overhaul and safety check on all the ferries. They are all very old now and the company's need to invest in new craft. There's a new express way from HCMC to Vung Tau now, It's not very long but it cuts an amazing hour or more off the journey from the airport by road.

I think your gf is seeing things, no ferries as of today and no news as to exactly when they will run again.

yup, i go to vung tau pretty often and the ferry aint up and running yet. those things were manufactured back in 1986 :( they need to invest into new ferrys..