Jordanian news flashes

This thread is dedicated to news which affects you, or you think its important and you want to share it with others.
You can also discuss it here what you think of it.

I will do the kick off about the rain.
The Jordan Times wrote:

Twelve million cubic metres (mcm) of water entered the dams since the Kingdom was affected on Tuesday night by a depression and a cold front, forecast to taper off late Friday, officials said on Thursday.

The Ministry of Water and Irrigation said the country's 10 major dams now hold 154mcm, constituting 47 per cent of their total capacity of 325mcm.

“The depression brought good amounts of rain to different parts of the country, channelling some 12mcm into the dams between Tuesday night and Thursday morning,” a source at the ministry told The Jordan Times.

In addition, the depression raised by over 30 per cent rainfall recorded in the Kingdom this winter.

“Early this week we had received around 32 per cent of the long-term annual average of 8.3 billion cubic metres. Figures until Thursday morning show that the amount increased to 62.5 per cent, which is heart-warming since the country was about to announce a state of drought,” the official said.

More rainwater is expected to be channelled into the dams during the next two days, according to the ministry.

What do you think about the heavy rainfall?
Do you enjoy it and welcome all this heaven water or you get moody and depressed?
What are you doing: sit at home or you go outside to do what you wanted to do?

For me I don't really like the rain but I am very aware of the importance for the country.
We need it because we have not much water and the farmers need it badly.
On the other hand it makes the traffic more dangerous: the drivers do not always adjust their driving behavior, the asphalt breaks and it can be slippery, there is a lot of water on the streets and specially in the lower parts.
Also the public life seems to go slower: schools send the children back to home, activities are cancelled and so on.

I am glad for the rain.  We'll need it in the north if we move there since we'll be like everyone else using it for drinking and cooking water and crops.  Glad to hear more finally arrived.

This morning I read an article that the Jordanians are one of the less happy people of the world.
A " study" from a popular based this conclusion on the people actual smiles.

You can read the whole article here: http://jordantimes.com/instagram-shows- … -worldwide

What do you think?
Are the Jordanians the less happy people of the world or this so called study sucks?
Or has this to do with cultural issues?

Smiling doesn't mean anything.  Lots of people smile when they stab you in the back.  The best thieves always smile.  That doesn't make them happier.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Smiling doesn't mean anything.  Lots of people smile when they stab you in the back.  The best thieves always smile.  That doesn't make them happier.

I agree with Hailey. Lots of times people in this world smile for what we call " good intention to the bad game ". It's called as well looking through pink glasses. On the contrary, we have reached a time where a smile in this world has become more suspicious than looking sulky :)

JO/EU wrote:

It's called as well looking through pink glasses.

I've never heard this, but I like it.

In the US it's generally referred to as "looking through rose-colored glasses."

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
JO/EU wrote:

It's called as well looking through pink glasses.

I've never heard this, but I like it.

It actually has several meanings according to the situation, but ends up with the same intention. We  beautify negative things through pink glasses. There is an idiom: To gild the lily.
By the way, welcome to the Forum, Hailey  :cheers: