Hello, Expat community! Alaskan here!

Hello, everyone! I'm a construction manager who currently resides in South Central Alaska with my wife and two kids. We have been getting excited about the idea of relocating to Central or South America (we have a short list) and are planning on visiting an few spots in 2014.

Our hobbies are sewing, fiber projects, historical studies, and our small farm. We have sheep, goats, and hogs.

Looking forward to speaking with many of you!

Ask me anything!

Hi there, :)

Why Spanish-speaking America?

For the same reason our ancestors crossed the Atlantic, I suppose-
Chance for a better life, more room, opportunity, and freedom.

We are rural people and I would like to expand our farming in a place were land is a bit cheaper, were it's warmer and you don't have to pay to heat the hogs all winter, and fodder crops are more affordable. We pay about $24 for a fifty pound bale of quality hay here!

Our families are from Florida also so it would be closer than Alaska.

Being slow southerners we like a slower paced life style and are used to humidity, sun, and old tractors.

Hi Zimo, :)

It looks you are determined to go.  Good luck! ...
Perhaps you will want to learn conversational Spanish before actually moving to Ecuador.
Good luck with that one too ...  :par:

Yes, becoming conversational is on the list!
I have some college level Spanish and some experience working with Spanish-speaking crews in agricultural and construction in Florida and Georgia(US).

So for now, lots of lessons online while we get ready.

How is it going, summer coming?  :)

Hi Zimobog,

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of everybody at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope your participation here will be both enjoyable and informative.

If you need any information about Brazil since you're looking at relocation to Central or South America just drop by the Brazil Forum and post a question. I'm always around with lots of information. You should really check out the Brazil Forum I'm sure you'll find it extremely interesting. We're the largest and weatlhiest South American nation, the language here is Portuguese, a bit tricky, but if I can master it then anybody can.

BTW, when you say south central Alaska, are you anywhere near Anchorage?

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for the reply, wjwoodward. Yes, I live close to Wasilla which about an hour north of Anchorage.

Johnc,
Summer? Ha! I wish ;)

We don't even get snow between channels on TV here!!!  :lol:

We only have 2 seasons, hot and freaking hot. It's almost impossible to tell one from the other.

Zimobog wrote:

We pay about $24 for a fifty pound bale of quality hay here!
Being slow southerners we like a slower paced life style and are used to humidity, sun, and old tractors.

I think you better transfer your farm to Sri Lanka and your animals can eat hay for free of charge, as much as they like. ;)

Find activities and meet other expats

OR