Conversion of work permit to permanent residence after three years

Hi,
has anyone successfully done the below ? and managed to buy NON IRS / RES house after three years ?

lifted the below from the BOI - assume you need tax return data to prove earnings but it could work for me and I was curious to know if anyone has done successfully ?
thanks
Tom

The Permanent Residence Permit allows a non-citizen to work and live in Mauritius for a period of ten years. The following categories are eligible for the Permanent Residence Permit.

A professional having a valid Occupation or a Work Permit and whose monthly basic salary exceeded MUR 150,000 for three consecutive years immediately preceding the application.

We obtained our ten year "Permanent Resident Permit" last year via the self employed permit, we had been in Mauritius for 6 yeas when we applied.  If you meet the criteria for a professional, go ahead and apply, the process is not difficult, you have to have all your documents certified and submit them with the application form at the Prime Ministers Office (not the BOI).  It takes about 3 months for the application to be processed, you must produce a statement from the MRA for the previous 3 years earnings and the Prime Ministers Office will also conduct a thorough police check. You pay the fee for the 10 year permit after it is approved.

Buying property is still another matter - you can buy a non IRS RES property but only an apartment not a house and it still has to meet certain criteria, there is a document on the BOI website explaining what you can buy, it remains restrictive especially for those of us who are not interested in living in an apartment.  We hope that will change over time as everything else has.

The 10 year permit gives us a little security and saves us from having to reapply every three years but like all permits it can be withdrawn at any time for any reason.

Good luck.

many thanks - thought it was too good to be true, good news you got the ten year extension though as I have been reading about lots of people who struggle to get the three year permit renewed ..........let alone the ten year

tom

The process for obtaining the 10 year permit is not complicated at all, if you meet the criteria, have paid your taxes and do not have a police record you should have a very good chance of getting it  - just read and follow the instructions carefully, you do not need the assistance of an agent or a lawyer except maybe to help get all your documents certified.

We completed our application, submitted it at the Prime Ministers Office and successfully gained our ten year permit simply by following the instructions on the BOI website.  The biggest issue for most expats is that unfortunately they just do not meet the income criteria to qualify or they have not declared their full income and paid taxes meaning they cannot produce the required certificate from the MRA.

Go to this page on the BOI website http://www.investmauritius.com/work-live/prp.aspx, at the bottom of that page is a link to a PDF document that outlines all the requirements and also includes the application form. 

Good luck  :cheers:

Hi there!
This is exactly the information I was looking for!  I was wondering about the possibility of purchasing a non-RES/IRS as I don't think those will fit our budget…unless we win the lottery!  Haaa!!!   However, we don't want to live in an apartment either.  :(  Will keep my fingers crossed that one day this law might change.  In the meantime, I wanted to let you know I tried clicking on the link, but I get an error message.  Any ideas?
--Court   :)

Please check this link it's working http://www.investmauritius.com/work-liv … ation.aspx

yep looks like its a long haul to buy land or a non RES / IRS villa but I can sort of understand why although I think the local real estate could change in the future....

conversion of work permit/occupation permit to permanent residence after three years;as anyone successfully done the below ? and managed to buy NON IRS / RES house after three years ?
before the law allowed nowadays;depending upon your salary 45000>- you could buy property after 3-4-5-6-7 years.