New to the board and interested in retiring in Ecuador

I was born in Canada, and have lived most of my live here (I taught for one year in New Zealand). I have been very fortunate to work in a number of interesting fields (historical research, social work, writer) and have been a teacher in the Ontario school system for the last 12 years. Although my professional life has been varied and interesting (and I wouldn't change a thing) savings are limited, and my teacher's pension will not be huge because I did not start teaching until late in life. There would also no doubt be more in the bank if I didn't like to travel ((Hungary, Poland, Austria, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia in the past few years), but life is for the living, and I have enjoyed every second of it. Teaching is wearing and draining and I am hoping to retire within the next 1-3 years, perhaps sooner as the Canadian winters are become more difficult to endure as I age. This past one (which doesn't appear to be over yet) was particularly difficult.   I have only started researching in the past few months, but have been drawn to Ecuador several times due to its climate, health care services, and quality and cost of living.  For the moment, I do not have any specific questions, but will be reading the board faithfully for suggestions and ideas. The idea of packing up and moving from my home country is a bit unnerving, but the idea of living somewhere snow-free has tremendous appeal.  Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions or experiences; as I said, this is all very new to me, and all comments will be greatfully received.  i am looking forward to hearing from you.
John

Hi John, :)

Why Ecuador of all places? There are many other tropical countries to which to settle / retire ...

Ecuador is awesome, but not for everybody…..come and spend a few weeks or longer…
Study spanish starting now…..Vaya con Dios

Why Ecuador?  I spent six years living in a variety of tropical countries, including Costa Rica, Panama, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.  Ecuador is by far the best for many, many reasons.  Costa Rica was once perhaps an ideal spot for retirement, but too many gringos have spoiled Costa Rica and the people there have become sadly predatory.  This hasn't happened yet in Ecuador.  I think one of the reasons Ecuador will keep its integrity is that the indigenous people are a strong part of the culture, unlike most countries in central America where they have become marginalized is not totally extinguished.  The Inca blood is a proud heritage, and I love the quiet and peaceful way of the indigenous people here in Ecuador.  Also Ecuador, like Peru, is very inexpensive (about one half what it costs to live in Colombia, its neighbor).  You can easily live on $500/month here, as I do on my very small pension.  I can explain many more details if you want to contact me directly ([email protected])

kiwibuddy1 wrote:

.... the idea of living somewhere snow-free has tremendous appeal.  Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions or experiences; as I said, this is all very new to me, and all comments will be greatfully received.  i am looking forward to hearing from you.
John

Hi John, :)

Living somewhere snow-free was my second reason to move out of Europe.  English-speaking country was my first reason.  I oscillated between Malta and Gibraltar, but then I discovered the Caribbean.  (No, it was not Columbus who discovered it.  I did it.  ;) )
The most spiritual moment for me was when I discovered that I can go anywhere I wanted and then I realized that there must quality in what I want if I was to succeed.  :top:

AMDG wrote:

Ecuador is awesome, but not for everybody…..come and spend a few weeks or longer…
Study spanish starting now…..Vaya con Dios

Yes, you are correct: not everything is for everybody.  :)

louisb333 wrote:

Why Ecuador?  I spent six years living in a variety of tropical countries, including Costa Rica, Panama, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.  Ecuador is by far the best for many, many reasons.  Costa Rica was once perhaps an ideal spot for retirement, but too many gringos have spoiled Costa Rica and the people there have become sadly predatory.  This hasn't happened yet in Ecuador.  I think one of the reasons Ecuador will keep its integrity is that the indigenous people are a strong part of the culture, unlike most countries in central America where they have become marginalized is not totally extinguished.  The Inca blood is a proud heritage, and I love the quiet and peaceful way of the indigenous people here in Ecuador.  Also Ecuador, like Peru, is very inexpensive (about one half what it costs to live in Colombia, its neighbor).  You can easily live on $500/month here, as I do on my very small pension.  I can explain many more details if you want to contact me directly ([email protected])

Hi Louis, :)

You touched three topics of interest to me:

1). Costa Rica used indeed to be 'pura vida' (pure life).  Now it no longer is and will never return to what it was.

2). Expats, especially gringos, do a lot of damage where they go.  It is in the nature of things for things to deteriorate.  Here where I live, the biggest damage was done by the British who came here from the 1600's like locusts in wave after wave of "immigrants" (the ancestors of today's expats) just to oppress poor people.
They dirtied the paradise.

Now it's gringos who know everything, who are sociopaths and psychopaths, always afraid somebody steals their wallet, somebody hacks into their computer, somebody will give them AIDS, but the bare reality is they want to live in luxury on a pension of US$958 / month, not to say that their sad reality is they cannot afford to have an elegant dinner in town and tip generously once a week.

Somebody who was Mr. Zero all his life in his home country now comes to the island to be Mr. Zero again ...  :o

My message to expats is clear: do not be like them.  :cheers:

3). Is the deepest secret of life to retire on a US$500 / month?  :o
Is the ultimate truth to live from hand to mouth in retirement when one has already lived like that all his life up to retirement?  :o
Ten years after somebody retires on that amount finds out the shocking truth that he can no longer buy what he used to, because of devaluation, inflation and lost buying power.
And then, twenty years later he cries for what he did to himself his entire life ...

I like your vagabond spirit but unfortunately I can no longer pursue it. I have too big interests which keep me grounded although I can live and work anywhere on a bit more than US$500 / month.  How about an average of US$25,000 / day:cool:
I let my web site do the international vagabonding for me ... while I hide under a rock because I have lots of work to do ...  :top:

Sorry, slow Internet here.

Why Ecuador? Three words...value...sun...ocean.  The Caribbean...two out of three ain't [sic] bad.

IF you are considering Ecuador, it is best to spend some time here after researching the different locations available; beach, mountains, farming, tropics, islands, large cities to rural retreats……...

John

Just curious. Where do you think is best places to live in Caribbean? Was told it as very expensive. I have considerably more than $500USD to live on. Am starting to have my doubts about Ecuador after all I've read on this  Forum over the last year

Expats, especially gringos, do a lot of damage where they go...Now it's gringos who know everything, who are sociopaths and psychopaths...My message to expats is clear: do not be like them....

Just curious, but if you feel that way about expats...why do you come to a site dedicated to expats?

Welcome.  I am in the same boat as you are and actually work at a school and I am considering EC. 
I am researching and reading blogs.  I plan to travel to EC in November.  If I like it, my move would be in about 3 years. 
Please post any info you discover in your research.  I'm considering Paute, Loja, Cumbaya at this point.

Ecuador is amazing! i bought a house there two years ago in Olon. I have a fabulous property manager (Todd Hebert) and i visit twice a year if time permits. It is an ideal way for me to ease myself in to moving down there. Each time I go I explore a little more and learn a little more espanol. I guess I really lucked out where i bought as my property has gone up already by $75k!

I adore ecuador. I find it safe, fun, public transport is great and it is only 9 hrs from california.

definitely do your homework. go spend a month - travel around.

there is great skiing in Chile if you miss the snow!

srutherford27: Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your successful investment.

thank you - i adore ecuador!

Hi all,

We have removed some off topic posts for info.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

If you are considering Cumbaya, please contact me at suquita352@ gmail.com
We will love to have you in Ecuador!