Open a business in the dr

new to this type of communication, interested in learning about opening a small business on the north coast around the pop area..is it difficult to pull permits, pay tax , insurance coverages?

Rickbel first off welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks here with good information.

What kind of business are you looking to open?  Have you been here before?  Do you have your residency, cedula and RNC number yet?  It will be easier to answer some of your questions with this information.

We have lived here in the Sosua/Cabarete area full time for nearly 8 years.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!!!  It can be easy or it can be difficult - depends on the type of business and how you go about it.  Yes first thing - are you legal - residency and cecula or is it in process?  Second what kind of business?  And how well do you know Puerto Plata?  Things have been tough there for a few years now but hopefully things are starting to improve! 

by the way - interesting note - you do not need a cedula and residency to open a business!!  Imagine! But you can't be on the "payroll" without it......

Thanks Planner and thanks Bob K..My wife is from pop and we have family there, she has her residency, I will have to look into that as well,we were thinking of something along the line of street food. Things look like there going to turn around over there which is exciting.

I think they are going to turn around! It won't be fast as some people are hoping, but slow quality development is much much better for all concerned!

Its true slow and steady, what do you know about the cruise port in maimon, is it a port of call or will it be a detination ?

It is a port of call.
Before you put any  $$$$ into a food venture here (restaurant, bar, stand, beach bar, street cart) make sure you investigate it to the max.  The north coast area (Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata) is overrun with these and for every new one that show up 2 close down. Very difficult for that type of business here.

BObK

Food businesses are very very tough!!! 

And as I understand it the cruise ship terminal area is being completely controlled by the owners - Carnival.  I am not sure if that is a good or a bad thing......LOL   BUT outside of there, its anyone's guess how things will evolve.

Thanks Planner and Bob K, we are still excited about trying something there, Can always limp home here and continue my boring life.

Oh hell no, no limping allowed!!! LOL  Hopefully with lots of insight and research you can be successful!!!!

Yes, do your homework and you will have a better chance of success.  Making a living here is hard but certainly doable.

Bob K

It is doable, Bob is right.  If you are adaptable, versatile, imaginative and PATIENT, you can carve out your space here!

Thanks again guys , We love to live a simple life. Im sure we can make something work.