Hello! Another Post for New Friends! :)

How's everyone going?

I'm not new here exactly, but I find myself stuck in a bit of a rut and looking to expand my social circle.

Me? I'm old-ish (32 this year) and working full-time. In fact, my job is what brought me here nearly two years ago. I like many things but am passionate about football in general, Liverpool and Inter Milan in particular, my kind of music, dancing and spending random weekends away being lazy on a beach. English IS my first language, for better or worse, although I am also very fluent in Manglish and know enough casual Indonesian to order food and make sure my cab driver knows where to take me.

You? I'm hoping you're kind and friendly and appreciate the random burst of sarcasm. I hope you share enough of my interests that we have something to talk about but not to the point where we're so similar we have nothing to share. Doesn't matter if you're new here or lived here your whole life - if it's the latter, you can tell me where I can go to have fun, if it's the former we can get lost exploring this city together!

I live and work in the SCBD area, so if you're close by, that would be awesome because that would mean we could hang out!

My mother says I'm pretty cool, perhaps you could validate her opinion for me?

Hello and welcome.  Whats manglish?  I am sure there are enough people here to make contact with and meet.

Enjoy the day

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you'll find a lot of new cool friends like you ( or they should be dorks? lol), Anyways if you don't mind hanging out with a new mom to a newly born baby who sometimes cries for no apparent reason, we could perhaps hangout :D
I live in Epicentrum, Kuningan which is relatively close to where you are. On a Sunday morning that is..where traffic is at its best :P

Luke, I think Manglish is Malaysian English? if not Mandarin English...I don't think its Manadonese English... hahaha.

Annie

Hello lukereg and Sophie Fisher!

lukereg - Sophie's got it spot on! Manglish is Malaysian English, or mangled English as some people call it. It's basically English spoken really quickly with Cantonese, Malay and the random Tamil word thrown in. With the grammar all messed around. Add into that mix suffixes such as 'la', 'lor', 'leh', 'meh' and countless others and you get a melting pot of almost-but-not-quite-English :D

Sophie Fisher - Yeah, I'm kind of a dork but I'd LOVE to hang out with you! You're right, Epicentrum isn't too far off and Sunday morning brunch sounds lovely. You'd have to recommend a nice place though. I don't know much outside of the SCBD. Embarrassing considering I've been here awhile.

Apologies if I'm doing this wrong, still getting the hang of this blog.

irma82 :

hi, welcome to this forum.
by the way, I love with your mom words "My mother says I'm pretty cool"
because almost all parents have beautiful words to their children :)

Sophie Fisher :
Dear Annie, how are you?..
hmm, sepertinya your baby is sleeping so you can online :)

Mia

No worries :)

I can recommend a few places for brunch, ofcourse.
I'll send you a PM sometime later to see your schedule ;)

Annie

irma82 wrote:

Hello lukereg and Sophie Fisher!

Sophie Fisher - Yeah, I'm kind of a dork but I'd LOVE to hang out with you! You're right, Epicentrum isn't too far off and Sunday morning brunch sounds lovely. You'd have to recommend a nice place though. I don't know much outside of the SCBD. Embarrassing considering I've been here awhile.

Apologies if I'm doing this wrong, still getting the hang of this blog.

Hello Irma82,

If your mom says you are cool as you say you are, then am happy to welcome you to Jakarta :)

-Dewi-

My mum says I am a still a naughty little boy and deserve to get my legs slapped and at 80, she is more than happy to do it, DWSA am I not welcome  :P

oooh luke...your mom still loves you no matter what  :D

Yep, most do !

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie here and glad to spot friendly people around  :D
Just a short introduction:

I am originally from Singapore, studied/worked as an Architect in Sydney for 10 years before moving back to work in Singapore for 4.5 years. 7 months ago, I quit my job as an Urban Designer and moved to Jakarta to be with my Indonesian husband.

I am a mother to a 15-mth old cute & cheeky girl. It wasn't easy at first, not speaking a word of Bahasa but I quickly picked up words here and there from the household staff. There was also a fair amount of shock at how different some things are done in this country. Now that we're more or less settled into life here, I would very much like to expand my social circle, especially getting to know other mums & sharing tips/ stories.

My interests are in food (I love exploring new eateries & cooking/baking), design (architecture/interior/furniture), travelling and art.

irma82 - I definitely speak Manglish or Singlish we call it in Singapore hehe

You sound a lot like me. I blog about food for a hobby, you could perhaps check it out when not busy taking care of your cute daughter :) its epicuriousannie.com
I also have one on my own, a 5 week old baby Boy :)
Where about in Jkt do you live? What about a Sunday brunch with Irma sometime soon? :)

Annie

petitpoix wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie here and glad to spot friendly people around  :D
Just a short introduction:

I am originally from Singapore, studied/worked as an Architect in Sydney for 10 years before moving back to work in Singapore for 4.5 years. 7 months ago, I quit my job as an Urban Designer and moved to Jakarta to be with my Indonesian husband.

I am a mother to a 15-mth old cute & cheeky girl. It wasn't easy at first, not speaking a word of Bahasa but I quickly picked up words here and there from the household staff. There was also a fair amount of shock at how different some things are done in this country. Now that we're more or less settled into life here, I would very much like to expand my social circle, especially getting to know other mums & sharing tips/ stories.

My interests are in food (I love exploring new eateries & cooking/baking), design (architecture/interior/furniture), travelling and art.

irma82 - I definitely speak Manglish or Singlish we call it in Singapore hehe

ditto to previous question? :-)mangalish ?
glad regards
/h

Thanks Annie for the warm welcome  :)
Yes, I would love to meet up! I'll PM you my location...let's arrange something.

I see you're quite a new mum. Congrats!
It's so much hard work but I"m sure you'll find it gratifying. I've been trying out lots of baby food recipes with quite some success....share with you when your baby is older.

Welcome :)

Hi ther,

Oh I,m Singaporean too. Thr is a lovely preschool n daycare for ur kid in Kuningan area, at Ciputra world, opposite ambassador mall.

Let's catch up sometime . Tc