Working visa - working permit - residency?

Hi All!

I am a part of an NGO looking to register in Namibia - we will be working with intensive agricultural systems. My team that are Canadian expats (5 - the rest hired from Namibia) would be committing to 3 years. Would working visas suffice to enter, live and work? Or would they require residency permits of some kind? I have heard that we will probably have to re-apply/extend each permit since they only last up to a year. Any assistance with these procedures would be amazing. Thanks!

Hi from a fellow Canadian living and working in Namibia you will need work visas and depending on the length of time a residence visa.
My contact details are below contact me and I will send you the relative information.
Drury Parrell

You have three choices in Life;
Give Up
Give In
Or
Give It All You Got

Hi Elizabeth,

All the best in applying for your work permits.  Just so you know, it can take upwards of six months to obtain a three month working permit.  So apply as soon as possible.  You'll need an x-ray of your lungs, medical, validated copies of your degrees (translated if any of them are in French), proof of the required inoculations, copy of your passport, and more (just can't remember anymore since I applied six years ago). Here is the link to Home Affairs http://www.mha.gov.na/ where you can obtain the forms.

It is rare that you will receive more than three months with your first application.  And you must keep reapplying until they give you a two year work permit.  It took us two years of three month permits until we received a two year work permit.  (My husband set up a company that employs 150 people at very good salaries so, it does not necessarily matter what economic benefits you generate.  Nevertheless you should emphasize the skills transfer, sustainability, and economic benefits of your project in your application.)  I suggest you use an agent as it might speed up the process.  Perhaps someone on this site knows of one?  We apply for our permits in-house through my husband's employer. 

If you are working/consulting anyone within the Department of Agriculture in Namibia, I would suggest you ask for their help as well.  An endorsement is essential.  So, you'll need valid contacts here and abroad who can vouch for the benefits of your project.  Are you setting up your project in a specific community?  Do you have the endorsement and support of the local chief?  Very important!

I am meeting next week with a fellow who sets up businesses and NGOs here in Namibia.  I'll ask him if he knows of any immigration agents.

All the best,
Dee

Maybe Drury has a contact for you which would be great!