Aswan forum

Hi everybody,

the new Aswan forum is now online :)

Nice little place to visit, we spent a week there during the off season and had a real blast.It looked like the fishing just down stream from the lake would be great ideal waterway for feeding area for fresh water bass which were quite large and plentiful.

we went to show our children some of their history and roots.They had little interest in the subject.

We will visit again just for the fishing along the Nile using light tackle.

i would like to visit Luxor & aswan again as first time was from 15 years, so any recommendations about what to do and what not to do?
thanks in advance :)

don moe wrote:

i would like to visit Luxor & aswan again as first time was from 15 years, so any recommendations about what to do and what not to do?

me too don moe i want to visit luxor as the last time was 3 months ago :P:P
don't list are coming first with
1. dont speak to Luxorian native girls or u r gonna be shoot down
HAHAHAH,ha3ha3ha3ha3.

mero928 wrote:
don moe wrote:

me too don moe i want to visit luxor as the last time was 3 months ago :P:P
don't list are coming first with
1. dont speak to Luxorian native girls or u r gonna be shoot down
HAHAHAH,ha3ha3ha3ha3.

dont worry bro as my main goal will be historical visits only :P
i will envy u for ur last visit ;)

Julien wrote:

Hi everybody,

Thank you Julien, we are appreciating your efforts here.

I haven't been to Aswan before but I would like to go there, people there are super nice

semsema135 wrote:
Julien wrote:

Hi everybody,

I haven't been to Aswan before but I would like to go there, people there are super nice

don moe/mero/yasmine - i smiled reading your posts. isn't it funny how foreigners often see more of our own countries than we do when people come to canada, they're amazed i don't spend my time travelling in my own backyard.
i loved aswan and luxor.
mero is right...the folks in upper egypt are to me, the original egyptians from the pharaohs...(now i'll probably get shot down for saying that ;)) but this is how i see them. very proud, honourable, clannish, loyal and protective of their women (mothers, wives, sisters, aunts etc). the part about being shot for a slight...well, it's not entirely a stretch:). disputes are often settled with the men banding together to defend the family name/honour.
anyhow, aswan and the nubians are beautiful, gracious and warm. the movenpick hotel is lovely and located on a small island in the nile and its situated across from elephantine island (or close to it i beleive). there's a stunning botanical garden you can stroll on elephantine island. my favourite site was temple philae - reached by boat and best seen at night.

of course seeing abu simbel is a must. is a short flight south from aswan. i wouldn't recommend the drive as its usually done in convoys and takes too long.

as for luxor, stay on the west bank. live amongst the locals. you can rent decent priced apts or villas. no need to stay in a hotel. you'll want a roof top patio to gaze at karnak & luxor temple on the east bank the hills on the west. but if you prefer a hotel, the hotel al moudir is striking too. seeing luxor temple at night is soo romantic. the square on the east bank is lovely at dusk as families like to stroll and visit here. of course the tombs are striking but i have to say karnak takes your breath away. there's a great cafe (mero you may know the one) that is quite large on the east bank which is also nice to hang out at. i think its on the south end....

so much to be proud of guys. i was moved beyond words to see the sites and simply wanted to touch the stone (when no one was looking) and imagine the span of time it had withstood.

salam

k

Katyusha wrote:
semsema135 wrote:
Julien wrote:

Hi everybody,

don moe/mero/yasmine - i smiled reading your posts. isn't it funny how foreigners often see more of our own countries than we do when people come to canada, they're amazed i don't spend my time travelling in my own backyard.
i loved aswan and luxor.
mero is right...the folks in upper egypt are to me, the original egyptians from the pharaohs...(now i'll probably get shot down for saying that ;)) but this is how i see them. very proud, honourable, clannish, loyal and protective of their women (mothers, wives, sisters, aunts etc). the part about being shot for a slight...well, it's not entirely a stretch:). disputes are often settled with the men banding together to defend the family name/honour.
anyhow, aswan and the nubians are beautiful, gracious and warm. the movenpick hotel is lovely and located on a small island in the nile and its situated across from elephantine island (or close to it i beleive). there's a stunning botanical garden you can stroll on elephantine island. my favourite site was temple philae - reached by boat and best seen at night.

of course seeing abu simbel is a must. is a short flight south from aswan. i wouldn't recommend the drive as its usually done in convoys and takes too long.

as for luxor, stay on the west bank. live amongst the locals. you can rent decent priced apts or villas. no need to stay in a hotel. you'll want a roof top patio to gaze at karnak & luxor temple on the east bank the hills on the west. but if you prefer a hotel, the hotel al moudir is striking too. seeing luxor temple at night is soo romantic. the square on the east bank is lovely at dusk as families like to stroll and visit here. of course the tombs are striking but i have to say karnak takes your breath away. there's a great cafe (mero you may know the one) that is quite large on the east bank which is also nice to hang out at. i think its on the south end....

so much to be proud of guys. i was moved beyond words to see the sites and simply wanted to touch the stone (when no one was looking) and imagine the span of time it had withstood.

salam

k

Kathy, honestly and frankly, your post has drawn a smile on my face, the ways of describing the views in details are really amazing, do you imagine that I haven't been there before:(:(, wanna go to Luxor and Aswan so much, just hope everything will  be ok and safe in Egypt now KATHY:(
Pray for Egypt plz
And I was talking with Mero yesterday about to make a trip to luxor and Aswan when you will be back to Egypt.

Hope we will be able to make it and to see you  there, and all of us wanna see and talk with our canadian friend so much:):)

Again thank you for your post and for the informations that you have given to me

Hope for you the best of the best and to be always happy because you really deserve that

Cheers from Egypt

Hi all.
It's very interesting. I've heard already before about the beauty of Aswan and Luxor. When is the best time to visit ? Please don't say that all around the year is best time. There're always things we should consider. Any tips ? Thanks

Katyusha wrote:
semsema135 wrote:
Julien wrote:

Hi everybody,

i loved aswan and luxor.

salam

k

Katyusha you are adorable :) if i will visit them one day it will be with you as you will be our guide (me,amr and yasmin)

thanks alot for sharing this amazing informations with us, we really appreciate your efforts :)

Katyusha wrote:
semsema135 wrote:
Julien wrote:

Hi everybody,

i loved aswan and luxor.

salam

k

thank you Kath, very informative even I didn't know these places coz when I'm there I'm always in my family home (so proud).and thank you for such nice words u have given to us as an upper Egyptian.
btw, my aunts home is on the other side of Karnak temple so it is so easy and interesting  to see the temple from upside view specially in night.

indobe wrote:

Hi all.
It's very interesting. I've heard already before about the beauty of Aswan and Luxor. When is the best time to visit ? Please don't say that all around the year is best time. There're always things we should consider. Any tips ? Thanks

Hello Indobe,welcome to Aswan & Luxor forum,
of course there is a certain times where the weather there is suitable for hiking and walking during day time. firstly u should know that sun is there all the time of the year but best times to visit Luxor and Aswan will be from 15th Oct to 15th of Jan.Sun is there but not very hot and during this time the average weather degree is 26C which is convenient for all day light activities but at night it may be so cool .exactly like desert weather or continental weather.

mero928 wrote:
indobe wrote:

Hi all.

of course there is a certain times where the weather there is suitable for hiking and walking during day time. firstly u should know that sun is there all the time of the year but best times to visit Luxor and Aswan will be from 15th Oct to 15th of Jan.Sun is there but not very hot and during this time the average weather degree is 26C which is convenient for all day light activities but at night it may be so cool .exactly like desert weather or continental weather.

then i will be going at january ;)

mero928 wrote:

Cool ! Thanks for the info. How long usually do we have to book hotel in advance ? From time to time we often book too late that most of the hotels are fully booked. Is that period in holidays season ?
Thanks again.

my pleasure guys!
it would be sooo much fun to be with you three :)
it makes me smile just thinking about our future "road trip"
salam,
k

(i get too lazy to "quote" each comment so forgive me if it seems rude...)